Powder Suggestions and Misc Questions

Thanks Steve.

IMR-4064 is similar in performance to Varget, Varget just gives you a little more speed. I haven't run in to temp sensitity issues with 4064 and it just shoots great with the 120gr Ballistic Tips and its always available.

Lapua is pretty good, I still have a couple of bags left of Winchester brass that I got 8 years ago, when it was good. Although I now mostly use nickel plated. I also have some Hornady and its been good so far.

If you are planning on shooting the 120gr Ballistic tips then Varget and 4064 are your best options in my experience. For the heavier bullets slower burning powders have worked best for me like IMR-4350. Try RL16 or H4350 like I mentioned before, this is based on research and a thread I started last week regarding these use of powders with heavier bullets.

In the three 7mm/08's I've owned, WW760/H414 was hard to beat with 140-150 gr bullets. in both velocity and accuracy. H-100V and the new 6.5 StaBall also do good. JMO

at least you have about the easiest calibers to find loads for

your .223 should have a 1-9 twist. 69gr tipped Sierra Matchkings or 70gr Bergers and Varget, this should be all you need, start around 24gr. this was my load in my remmy 5r. i now have a 1-8 twist custom .223 and will test the 75gr eldm with my varget on 8082 IMR

So, I'm a new Reloader. I currently have only reloaded for my son's Remington 700 Varmint 223 Rem and my Remington 700 LTR with very good results.

Anyway, Iam going to start reloading for a Remington 700 LTR in 308 Win and multiple 7mm-08's(3 total).

I am overwhelmed by the multitude of powders that seem to work well with both the 7mm-08 and 308 Win. Do you guys usually buy a bunch of 1# containers of powder to see what a rifle/bullet/primer likes or should buy an 8# of one powder to insure lot number and tune load? I am probably over thinking this, however, I tend to overthink everything. Lol

Any advise on choosing a powder to start with (new Reloader without any powders other than Benchmark for 223 Rem) would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks
Steve
Varget imr 4064

IMHO get the bullet manufacturers load data for the bullet you are considering and then look what they suggest. Usually you get a range of velocities, and a "NOT TO EXCEED" max load. You can then procced to do your own testing to "fine tune" your load. There are many great suggestions on this forum for your load tuning. I personally look at suggested loads others use, but as cautioned always start low and work my up looking for pressure signs, etc. Good luck and have fun!

So, I'm a new Reloader. I currently have only reloaded for my son's Remington 700 Varmint 223 Rem and my Remington 700 LTR with very good results.

Anyway, Iam going to start reloading for a Remington 700 LTR in 308 Win and multiple 7mm-08's(3 total).

I am overwhelmed by the multitude of powders that seem to work well with both the 7mm-08 and 308 Win. Do you guys usually buy a bunch of 1# containers of powder to see what a rifle/bullet/primer likes or should buy an 8# of one powder to insure lot number and tune load? I am probably over thinking this, however, I tend to overthink everything. Lol

Any advise on choosing a powder to start with (new Reloader without any powders other than Benchmark for 223 Rem) would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks
Steve
[/QUOTE

Varget is a versatile powder and not very temperature sensitive. IMR 3031 is also another good choice. Look up both cartridges is your reloading manual or go to powder manufacturer's website and look them up. Find common powders for both and start your load development. Hope this helps.

I really like imr 4064 and varget for all the cal.that you have talked about the only thing about Varget it is hard to find right now and you cannot beat Lapua brass happy reloading sir

Thanks
Steve
Head over to this reloader web site https://load-data.nosler.com/ and bookmark it. Nosler is one of the best sources for reloading. They provide almost everything you need to be concerned with in reloading. I wish you many years of success with reloading. I've found that with the light loads in .223 / 5.56 that factory loads on sale (about $.31-$.33/round) run about $.02 less than you can reload them without the purchase of the brass. It costs me $.33/rd to reload the 5.56 /223, not worth your time and trouble. Now when you get into the heavier loads in this caliber reloading is more efficient. However, the .308 is definitely worth the time and effort, been reloading them for 45+ years. I have numerous calibers of rifles and choosing a powder that is compatible with more than one caliber is important to me. The most compatible powder I have found is IMR 4064. I have used it in everything from the 5.56 to .375. It has almost the same characteristics as the IMR 3895 which I used for years. The one thing you will discover is that powder sources will differ as you increase the bullet mass, ie; 55gr to 70gr. There are many reasons that you need to have load-data on speed dial and I'm certain you will see why. It will become your go-to site for reloading. I hope you enjoy reloading as much as I have for almost 50 years.

If you're just referring to .223 may I suggest going to YouTube and look up Johnny's Reloading Bench. He has a series of 77 & 55 grain load tests. All types of powder, primer, brass combos.
This will give a good starting point.HTH

Thanks
Steve
Varget.

LVJ76

Happy Father's Day!!!

Unfortunately I do not have anyone that I know that reloads.

My original plan was to load 120 gr Ballistic Tips with Varget in the 7mm-08's and 168 gr Berger Classic Hunter's in my LTR with Varget and all with BR2 primers. Varget is just really hard to find as you probably know.

What are your thoughts on brass brand. I was planning to buy Lapua. I purchased Starline for our 223 Rem and although they shot well, I wasn't impressed with the variation in overall length, which was even more difficult with loading 40gr bullets. I mean a lot of them were .015 short of trim too length.

Have a great day all!
Steve
Brass is a sensitive issue. I will not purchase Starline and stick with the quality brands like Lapua, Nosler, Norma, or Weatherby. You get what you pay for.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.