Powder Suggestions - rookie question

bookworm

I plan to start reloading this spring and have never done it before. Since supplies seem to be scarce right now I thought I should start shopping now.

I plan to mainly reload .223 and .300 win mag for long range hunting and practice.

The temps here in idaho will range from 90's+ in the summer to "teens" or less during hunting season.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what powders would be good for me to reload with given the calibers, application, and temp ranges?

Thanks in advance.

I have 2 different .223's a faster twist 1-9 and a standard 1-12 and both of them love Hodgden Benchmark. The 1-12 likes Nosler 50 gr. BT and 25.5 grains and my 1-9 likes 23.5 with the Sierra 69 MK.

Benchmark is one of their extreme powders so it isn't temp sensative. I have also heard H335 works very well too.

Generally the 223 will require a faster powder & the 300 win mag slower. My favorite 223 powders are Ramshot TAC & H 4895. I use H4350 in my 300WSM, it should also be fine in the 300 win mag. I think 4831 is another good 300 win mag powder, though I have never used it. I would get some primers & a few other things as you find them, they'll last a long time stored properly. Yes benchmark has a good following, especially with lighter 223 bullets.

My pet loads in include H-335 for the 223 and H-1000 for the 300 WM. They are both very good at 30 to 80 temp ranges, only slight increase in velocity for me. I load mild to medium so I don't have to worry about pressures.

I have had really good results in the .223 with either WW748 or RL10X. Have owned and shot several 300 Win Mags & my go to powder is RL22. Twist rates & what weight bullets you prefer to shoot willhelp fine tune the choices. Always start low & work up in charge weights.
Semper Fi

For .223 H4895, am trying TAC as well

For 300win mag -H1000 with 200smk's-awesome results with a factory savage 112BVSS

Thanks for everyone's input.

For the .300 win mag I'm seeing these pop up a lot:

Hodgdon H4350, H4831, H1000
IMR 4831
RL 22

Which of these would you put at the top of your list for best temperature stability? Are any of these particularly unstable through temps swings?

Hodgdon Extreme powders are first choice for temp stability/consistency. Also choose slower burn rates for heavier bullets.
That's why I chose H1000 for the 200SMK's

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.