Powder Suggestions and Misc Questions

Varget is made in Australia for sale in the US. That is probably why it's difficult to find - the pandemic has shut down trade between most countries.
In the 'Land Down Under' (Australia), and the 'Shaky Isles' (New Zealand), it's sold as AR2208.
I use it in 308 and find it very easy to get acceptable accuracy through a range of bullet weights and rifles, depending on what I'm going to be doing - Full Bore targets (up to 1000yds) or which species I'm intending to hunt.

So, I'm a new Reloader. I currently have only reloaded for my son's Remington 700 Varmint 223 Rem and my Remington 700 LTR with very good results.

Anyway, Iam going to start reloading for a Remington 700 LTR in 308 Win and multiple 7mm-08's(3 total).

I am overwhelmed by the multitude of powders that seem to work well with both the 7mm-08 and 308 Win. Do you guys usually buy a bunch of 1# containers of powder to see what a rifle/bullet/primer likes or should buy an 8# of one powder to insure lot number and tune load? I am probably over thinking this, however, I tend to overthink everything. Lol

Any advise on choosing a powder to start with (new Reloader without any powders other than Benchmark for 223 Rem) would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks
Steve
I've had good luck with Varget and RL 15 in both calibers. And a wide range of bullets.

So, I'm a new Reloader. I currently have only reloaded for my son's Remington 700 Varmint 223 Rem and my Remington 700 LTR with very good results.

Anyway, Iam going to start reloading for a Remington 700 LTR in 308 Win and multiple 7mm-08's(3 total).

I am overwhelmed by the multitude of powders that seem to work well with both the 7mm-08 and 308 Win. Do you guys usually buy a bunch of 1# containers of powder to see what a rifle/bullet/primer likes or should buy an 8# of one powder to insure lot number and tune load? I am probably over thinking this, however, I tend to overthink everything. Lol

Any advise on choosing a powder to start with (new Reloader without any powders other than Benchmark for 223 Rem) would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks
Steve
I can't speak to the .308 but, I can tell you Varget is a very good & a VERY versatile powder for the 7-08.
And yes, I do #1 lb purchases until I find a load that prints well with the bullet/primer combo., then I buy#8. Based on my experience with Varget, I'd just buy #8. It is also vey good in .223. However, Vitahvoury N-133 in the .223 in excellent with 50gr pills.

All you Varget fans need to stop buying it so I can find some! LOL

Keep the recommendations coming. I'm surprised how many recommend the 4064 in 7mm-08, I know it's popular in 308 Win.

Thanks
Steve
4064 is a really good powder for the 7-08 just be aware that it has a wild pressure curve in hot weather.
A good solid load in cool/mild temps can get pretty scary when the weather heats up...just FYI
and because it is an extruded (cylindrical) it doesn't meter very well and lots of double measurements and powder trickling will be necessary. "PITA"

I would check out the new winchester StaBall 6.5 .It may be too slow burning but again it might give you the best velocity and I know it is low pressure powder..

4064 has been really good to me in 7-08. but as mentioned several times, is pretty temp sensitive. My current load is ramshot big game, good ES/SD and nicely insensitive to Temp swings. Seems I have no trouble finding it on shelves either. Gave up on varget as one pound here, one pound there a guy just ends up with a good worked up load and a new lot# to work with on the next can. Buy 8lbs of varget if you can find it, buts it's not the only powder for 7-08/308. Not even close. Good luck!

Have you looked at Hogdon website for load data? That is normally where I will go when looking at Hogdon and IMR based powders, I believe IMR-4166 is the equivalent of Varget and is the temp stable powder in IMR lineup. As is IMR 4451 is the equivalent of H4350 in the temp stable lineup, usually you can find what is close if you look at a recent Relative Burn Rate Chart, the one I have is from November 2019. For load data, if you cannot get it from the Bullet manufacturer, take a look at the Powder manufacturer to see what they may have, sometimes it may not be the same bullet, but will be in the same weight class and it will provide min and max data from Hogdon site. That is a good place to start.

I have checked Hodgdon's data, Speer data, Nosler data, Hornady data as well as Lyman data. I was just curious what everyone else was having success with. Not specifically looking for load specifics as the rifles will tell me what they like. Just looking for powders that seem to work.

Interesting the success with 4064 as that was not a powder I even considered in 7mm-08. I may just keep a look out for Varget.

Thank you!
Steve

I like Varget, RL-15 and H4895 for .308 win and RL-17 or I-4350 for 7mm-08. 140 gr -145 gr bullets. I've had very good luck in 3 different 7mm-08 using 145 gr, Barnes LRX, 45.0, 45.6 and 46 gr RL-17 respectively for Browning A-Bolt Micro medallion, Wby Camilla and Fierce Firearm's CT carbon Edge, CCI BR-2 primer and Lapua brass.

Varget is the best. As a relatively new hand loader myself, be careful hand loading is so fun,addictive, and rewarding, you'll spend a lot of money quick. Very excited for you my friend, I'm heading to a gun show on Sunday haha

I'm late to the show but better late then never :) In my 308 RL15 has beat all comers so far so I stay with it. All 7mm-08's I own (many) love varget powder and its clean-temp stabile-don't over fill the cases-and the most accurate. Would buy varget in any amount you can get right now (I prefer 8lb jugs). IMR4064 is lights out in my 22-250 and very good in the 308 but temp effected from winter to summer up here. What I've said has been said already but one more vote :) My 260 was the one that stumped me and I never got a powder I liked.......IMR4350 was best :(

Brass for me its lapua for all.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.