rookie question lapua 338 AI

rockwind

deserty portion of the SW portion of Merica
i have 200 unfired virgin lapua brass from midway. i have dies for my 338 AI. now i know i can shoot factory 338 lapua in the AI. but can i load my virgin brass using the AI dies? or do i need to fireform them first. in which case i will need some standard 338 dies to get them loaded, then fireform them, and then reload them with the AI dies?
and if so, i am using 300 berger hybrid otm with retumbo and cci primers. would seriously appreciate any load data, can provide build info in next post, getting late. thank you, Kevin

Might want to talk to the 'smith that chambered it. I've got a 338AX (Lap Imp) from Kirby Allen and his is chambered such that you could shoot factory 338 Lap if need be, but others may vary and some might be dangerous to shoot with factory 338 Lap if headspace is not properly controlled. I don't know all the variations in chambering out there there for the 338 LAI. There may be some that headspacing is controlled OK with 338 Lap brass and some where it's not. If headspace isn't controlled in your chambering using 338 Lap brass, seating the bullet to the lands or just jambed into the lands is one way folks will help deal with this issue while fireforming.

My 338AI had a 1° taper in the chamber from the start of the lands. I had no problem shooting 338 lapua brass. If its a AI chamber then it has to be 40° , so headspacing should be the same as someone else's 338AI, even shot a 338 rouge with factory lapua brass to fireforming with no issue. My suggestion is don't size the brass it will be fine, run the brass through the expander ball only to uniform the case mouths, then just do usual case prep, seat bullet right at lands and fireform them. I would start around 92 grains for retumbo, max for my rifle was 102, but do not use this max load, work up to yours.

I have had no problem fire forming and working up loads. But everything has their own twist. I would fire form 50 cases, and break in the barrel at the same time if you have not already. Just what I would do. On a side note, I ended up switching to rl33, I got awesome velocities with it in my 30 inch custom. Just a thought:) have fun, you will never go back, awesome chambering!!!!

Kasey

i have 200 unfired virgin lapua brass from midway. i have dies for my 338 AI. now i know i can shoot factory 338 lapua in the AI. but can i load my virgin brass using the AI dies? or do i need to fireform them first. in which case i will need some standard 338 dies to get them loaded, then fireform them, and then reload them with the AI dies?
and if so, i am using 300 berger hybrid otm with retumbo and cci primers. would seriously appreciate any load data, can provide build info in next post, getting late. thank you, Kevin

You can use the dies you have. I would adjust the size die so it doesn't go all the way to the shoulder neck junction. I would use standard 338 Lapua load data for forming.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.