• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Powder Scales

If your going for the A&D with auto trickler (which have and love), they just announced a V4 which looks like a good improvement, but will not be available to summer or fall.

I'm still waiting for my Scott Parker tuned scale. He likes Lyman M5, D5, and the old rcbs 10-10. I sent him my M5.

the big difference in the scales we use are , strain gauge , and magnetic force . the strain gauge scales are cheaper . they don't like to be trickled on , there is a lag . the FX120i is a magnetic force scale .

There is no way I would trickle on a strain scale - you can drop a kernel of powder and it might not change for 10 seconds...or not until you tap it and wait for it to come back. The FX120i changes instantly when you drop one kernel of powder - which since it measures to the nearest .01 grain will have you a bit frustrated that you can't get EXCACTLY 78.50 grains of powder every time.

I have an RCBS scale for my AZ reloading room that is quite accurate; after I zero it I test it with three bullets of known weight: 100.0, 180.0, and 240.0. As I scale charges I periodically test the calibration with the known bullets; if e veryone doesn't match, I recalibrate and then test my load to see if it was accurate.

The Hornady scale I mentioned above was bought for my CO loading room but it it is so fickle I wasted huge amounts of time testing its calibration, recalibrating, etc. I used a similar bullet test as I do in AZ and it was a surprise when the bullet measured the same as it did after calibration.

I use a powder measure to throw charges close to what I want, then trickle with my fingers. When I am close, I wait for it to settle. When exact, I lift up on the pan slightly, then push down, the left off and set it back down. All three have to pass the test. I do this because I have found strain scales are sloppy as jimbires points out. With an FX-120i you don't have to do this.

My RCBS works just fine but I will probably replace it the the FX-120i. Time is money.

After I reprogrammed my Charge Master, I run it 0.2 under and move to my FX. I too have a trickler but found it much faster to finger feed to my desired charge. Always to 0.04g of my charge.