Powder recommendations for Berger 185grn 300 Win

huntoregon

I am trying to find an accurate load for my 300wm using Berger 185grn classic hunter bullets. I had a little bit of H-1000 and I found a load that seemed to shoot ok but that powder seems pretty hard to find. I'm wondering if anyone could let me know what other powders might work alright. I am extreme new to reloading so I apologize for my ignorance.

I was shooting 78.5 grains of H-1000 with CCI 250 primers. COAL was 3.340, I am using mag box friendly length.

Rifle is a Weatherby vanguard action with a Bartlein 26" barrel 1-10 twist and a Manners EH-2 stock with pillars and bedded.

Probably could find lot's of good loads with any powder from IMR4350 (115) to VihtaVuoriN570 (143). Anything after 143 might be too slow but that's only a guess. No hard/fast rule as the .300WinMag is easy to load for a generally pretty accurate. Good luck with your search. JohnnyK.

Attachments

• Burn Rates - 2014-2015.pdf
    31.9 KB · Views: 125
H-1000 seems to be working well for my 175 G Bergers. I also have a load worked up for the same bullet and rifle ( r/700-300 WM) with h-4831. I think it's just wise to have a couple of powders to turn to if need be.

Any idea what muzzle velocity is?

Had to go back into my notes to find it.

Ave MV 3137 FPS... 24" tube
ES 7
SD 2

Makes one egg shaped hole groups at 100
Best at 300 was 1-1/8" but consistently under 2"
Have not shot it past 300 on paper yet actually I have 200 rolled up and have not shot any of them for over a year now as I went on to working with a different bullet powder combo with this one rifle. Now I am thinking I might just have to get out and shoot a few of these this weekend and see what I get.

Hope the above helps

Hype

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.