Powder measure

timmymic

looking at 3 powder measures

Rcbs charge master LITE
Hornady lock and load
Lyman gen 6

Can someone suggest which would be better?

They're all similar I believe. I've had 2 chargemaster 1500s. Both worked fine. I think there's a comparison review on all 3 you're looking at if you google it

I got my Charge Master Lite a little over 2 months ago and I'm very happy with it's performance. Powder throws are well under the .1 grain variance, usually somewhere between .02 to .06 (measured by a new GemPro 250). I don't have any experience with either the Lyman or Hornady units.

I used a chargemaster for several years and it did ok. I got a A&D FX120i now with dandy trickler and was the best money I have spent. When I first got it I measured loads thrown on my chargemaster and threw them on the A&D and wow. I guess it depends on how accurate you want to get. With proper brass prep and sorting primers, bullets, and brass coupled with neck turning I can keep SDs in very low single digits. It does cost a little bit more for one of these units but IMO its a great investment that you can grown into as your shooting platforms, distance and skill grow more and more.

I tried the auto dispensing powder measures and found them to inconsistent and effected buy almost everything. It could have been me
or the environment that I load in but if I let it stabilize, it would often show an error and I had to start over taking to much time. some guys have as many as 3 going at the same time to speed things up. But I went back to a single powder measure and then I tried a Harrels powder measure and In my opinion, it is the best I have ever used. The repeatability is amazing and I have nothing but praise for it.

Now I can load at my pace and feel very confident in its accuracy and speed. With its accuracy, I can actually load faster with no interruptions
in dispensing accurate powder charges than the automatics.

Just My preference

J E CUSTOM

That is why I ended up using the A&D with the cheap lee powder scoop kit. I use the scoop to get close and dandy tricked to get me within a kernal each load. Great advice JE Custom! Everyone has their own way but ultimately groups and velocities will tell u if u are doing it right.

I am officially now done with buying scales; digital or otherwise, at least for a while. I have an older RCBS 10-10 (love this scale), an RCBS Chargemaster Lite, and a newly replaced GemPro 250. I also have an RCBS Rangemaster 2000 as a backup scale, most all of which, I can use use with my Dandy Omega automated powder trickier. I'm too old to appreciate devices that will help me measure powder any quicker than what I already have.

I have an old RCBS chargemaster I had purchased in 2000 and I also have a balance beam scale made by Lyman from back in the sixties. I always use both by throwing a charge thru the RCBS and measure it with the balance beam to verify if it is true. I do not get in a hurry when I am loading ammo, I am more into making sure everything is down to absolute before seating the bullet. So my opinion, have an electronic powder dispenser and a balance beam scale to verify each powder throw.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.