Powder Measure recommendations

Losthwy

Loading only for rifle up to 60 grains.
Looked at the RCBS Uniflow, about $125 w/stand and baffle.
Looked at the Quick Measure.
A few others around the $170 range like the Redding 3BR.

I don't want to go the electronic route.

I can relate to that (no electronic powder measure). The only electronics I have other than a cell phone, and this computer is the electronics on my machine tools.

I just am not a fan of that. I've been using a beam scale and manual trickler and drop powder measure for years.

I have an RCBS, it was a Christmas present many years ago and it works fine. Forget the fancy micrometer adjustment, you'll set the adjustment via your beam scale anyway. I think the thing with a manual powder drop is your stroke on the handle must be consistent and you have to snap the handle in the up position after every charge.

Mine varies a bit and it takes a couple three charges to settle it down for some reason. Mine likes to be full to 1/2 full, if it gets below 1/2, the charges get irratic, but then, I always peer into each case to ascertain the level of propellant and I beam scale every 3rd charge for bulk loading and every one for serious loads. With me, it's not about loading umpteen cases per hour, it's about a relaxing time reloading.

The other issue is the type of powder. Keep in mind that powders are extruded and come in different shapes and some shaped don't meter well, no matter what you do.

I made a little baffle for mine from one of those little single serving V8 Juice cans (after I saw the production one). I'm not sure if it makes any difference but it is in there.

I believe all the drop measures are pretty much all the same, a predetermined cavity displacement controlled with an insertion bolt shaft and allowing gravity to do it's thing. Not complax. I guess if you like Red, it's a Lee and Green, it's RCBS. Not sure about the other brand's colors because my gift RCBS works fine for me.

By all means, get the elevated cast base whichever one you get. It adds rigidity and gets the measure up higher so you can work under it (easier).

Some day, I might get an electronic one, but at my age, that day might not ever come....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.