Powder for New Nosler AccuBond LR 168 grain 7mm Mag

JMW

Ill start out by clarifying that I am not a seasoned reloading expert....so assumptions of reloading knowledge aside, all help is appreciated.

I am currently attempting to select a powder for the new Nosler AccuBond LR 168 grain bullets in my Ruger Mark II 7mm Mag. Reloading data is somewhat limited for this bullet as it is fairly new. Nosler has released test data for 3 powders (4000-MR, Magnum and MAGPRO). I initially loaded 4000-MR at 58, 59 and 60 grains with less than desirable grouping (worse than factory Federals). If anyone has any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm not sure whether this is of value or not but since 2009 (6 years) I have been shooting Hornady 175 gr soft tips with Ramshot Magnum powder at 67.3 grains with satisfactory grouping. I upgraded my scope to a Vortex Viper HS-T 4x16x44 and felt that the 168 gr. Noslers would pair nicely for my initial attempt at setting up for long range shooting.

http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...71491756123/7mm-Rem-Mag-168gr-version+7-1.pdf

ill start out by clarifying that i am not a seasoned reloading expert....so assumptions of reloading knowledge aside, all help is appreciated.

I am currently attempting to select a powder for the new nosler accubond lr 168 grain bullets in my ruger mark ii 7mm mag. Reloading data is somewhat limited for this bullet as it is fairly new. Nosler has released test data for 3 powders (4000-mr, magnum and magpro). I initially loaded 4000-mr at 58, 59 and 60 grains with less than desirable grouping (worse than factory federals). If anyone has any recommendations i would greatly appreciate it.

I'm not sure whether this is of value or not but since 2009 (6 years) i have been shooting hornady 175 gr soft tips with ramshot magnum powder at 67.3 grains with satisfactory grouping. I upgraded my scope to a vortex viper hs-t 4x16x44 and felt that the 168 gr. Noslers would pair nicely for my initial attempt at setting up for long range shooting.

http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...71491756123/7mm-rem-mag-168gr-version+7-1.pdf

rl26

Reloder 26

And a complete wild ***** guess but would start at 62 grains, check speed and work up to see if you can reach speed up to 2,950 - 2,975 without pressure signs.

Any time I start with an unknown and want to use RL26, I will use a starting load for RL 25.

Note that all the loads on this page are with not with Magnum Primer so he liked RL22 best as it is highlighted and would probably NOT have been the best powder if he was using a Magnum Primer. I would use Magnum Primer in 7RM all the time and believe RL26 to be better choice for 168gr bullets.

Steves pages always helps getting me going. http://stevespages.com/284_4_168.html

Last edited:
Around 67.5 grs will be max at 3000 fps with a 24" bbl. If you have access to a chronograph then test to 3000 fps no matter what the charge is and as long as you don't go much over 3000 fps you will be ok pressure wise. If you have no access to a chronograph then start around 64 grs and move up in .5 grain increments watching for pressure signs. Also, this data is good for an OAL of 3.29" and any variation will change pressures so stay with that. You can fine tune seating depth after finding powder node.

You have a wide variations to choose from. Look at the burn rate charts, anything from RL
19 to Retumbo will work well. I'd start with 7828, RL-22, or MRP.....

I am about to be in the same boat as you as I just got my custom 7mm build back from the smith. I went from a 24" factory tube to a 26" Bartlein barrel. My old stand by for the 24" barrel was always H1000 as I felt it had just the amount of burn rate to get a complete burn in that barrel. I never had good luck with Retumbo with the 24", however I have great luck with it in my dads 300 RUM 26" barrel. I will be giving Retumbo another shot with the new 26" tube. My suggestion is to contact Nosler and see what they recommend as a starting point.

I bought some 175 gr ABLR and measured them for uniformity and compared them to some 168 gr. Bergers I had on the bench. I was very disappointed to see the ABLR dimensions were all over the place and the Bergers were nice and tight. I stuck with the Bergers. I would be curious to know if the control on the ABLRs has improved since then.

To answer your question for the 168 grains, work up to these numbers
IMR 7828 at about 66 grains to 68.
IMR 7828 SSC 0.4 grains more than 7828
H1000 was about 68 gr to 70
26" factory barrel

I have been loading the 7mm 175 ABLR's with both RL22 and Retumbo. Switched to the Retumbo because of its temp. stability. I haven't tested that yet but I hunt in cold weather and I wanted a powder I thought would keep me in my velocity window. All that said, both powders have shot well with similar velocities where I'm loading them respectively. A buddy loads the 7mm 150's with 7828 and has great success. My dad is shooting the .270 150's with 4831 and 4831SC with some great groups as well. All of these loads have taken whitetail, mule deer, and pronghorn very effectively (bang flops) from 150-550 yards. I believe the ABLR is a great bullet but you really need to sort them. Bullet measurements are pretty inconsistent and I think that's part of why Nosler claims they shoot better with more jump, because they don't know which bullet the customer gets. It's a little frustrating but if you do the tedious work up front you can really get some great shooting bullets. For shooting the 168's I would try any of those powders (7828, 4831, Retumbo, RL 22, or RL 23 if you can find it). I plan to experiment with more powders in the next year. Something else to consider is barrel length. If you're shooting a shorter pipe the slower powders may not be as effective, but if you've got a gun with a 26" or better barrel you could see some benefits since the 168's are a fairly heavy bullet for caliber. Hope this helps.