Powder Comparison (N570, H1000, & 8133)

I've got a 300 Win Blazer and reload. my componets consist of
  1. Federal match Brass (from https://www.gibrass.com/brass.html) once fired military same head stamp as the military sniper ammo
  2. CCI BR2 bench rest primers
  3. 74 grains of H1000
  4. seated to .05 short of rifling based on the the Hornady measurements
  5. 200 gr Hornady ELDX bullets
my velocity consistency runs an extreme spread of 20FPS (I think the primers make a big difference)

Accuracy was 1/2 " @ 100 yards.

You're in CO. What's your elevation??
I'm just under 7000 feet. I have heard that suggestion before regarding barometric pressure. Nobody would tell me if it was related to the lesser air density (I doubt it) or if pressure had an affect on the ignition and burn of the powder itself. I have taken this load down to 2800 feet with no real change in velocity so I have no idea.

EDIT: how is it that I am always getting much faster MV than everyone else on this forum? I am using a Labradar so I don't think its a chrony error. This may sound like a dumb question but- I seat my bullet out until it barely kisses the lands, does that have something to do with it? My wife is using 212 ELD-x in her .300 WM using 71.7 grains of H1000 and getting around 2800 even (26 inch bbl) and she loads about like I do with her bullet hugging the lands. From the analysis I am seeing on LRH, I am getting substantially increased velocities comparatively.
I am going to keep an eye on this thread, maybe someone has an explanation.
I seem to get high velocities too, but all of my chambers are throated for more freebore to shoot the heavy for caliber stuff.

I'm using 75.5 grains of H1000, 215 berger hybrids in a 29" barrel. I'm getting around 2975 fps. Before I did a tube swap, I was using 73.5 grains and getting 2880 from a 24" tube. I know that's anecdotal but that might give you an idea on how much left there is for that H1000 to deflagrate in longer barrels.
With this Load :
- 225gr. - ELD - Match (Hornady)
- 89gr. - Retumbo
- 2,900fps. - 0.730 b.c.
in my 300 RUM with a 26" bbl

I am grateful, thanks for posting these results.
Supposedly 8133 is at the burn rate of N570 and RL33.Your data suggests that in the RUM, but I am surprised by the WM data.
You're in CO. What's your elevation??

You guys live in a thinner atmosphere than us lowlanders.
Elevation affects Trajectory - it has negligible effect on MV

I hunt at 700' and 400'. I've always felt cheated.
Guys out west even get away with slower twist rates also...which allows a bit more velocity.
the twist rate / stability factor does benefit from altitude, but twist rate has minimal effect on MV
A good read: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...ty-changes-with-different-barrel-twist-rates/

Last edited:
Interesting comparison. In looking at velocities I don't see the advantage of the RUM over the WM for a 10 grain powder increase, extra recoils, etc. the gains are surprisingly small.

Unless I am missing something. I am
Looking at this on my phone.