R25- R26- IMR7977- H1000 comparison

CliffM

I have not been able to get an apples to apples comparison from any source that I can find for these powders, so this morning I went to the range with the 6.5 Sherman to give these a head to head test to satisfy myself as far as the burning rate is concerned.
I loaded the same 6x.xxgr load of each powder under the 143 Hornady ELD-X bullet in Norma cases with F210 primers. The load chosen is not intended to determine the max for each powder, or the most accurate, only to compare speed produced with the same charge. Interesting that R25, 7977, and H1000 produced the same speed.
Cliff

Attachments

• IMG_20160514_175645335.jpg
    IMG_20160514_175645335.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 295
I would be curious to see how they all compare in other cartridges, to see if the velocity is still similar, or if that is an isolated result that only happened in the 6.5 Sherman cartridge.

Because according to Hodgdon's website, 7977 and H1000 are nearly identical in the 7mm STW with the 180gr bullets. But when comparing them in the 7mm RemMag, they are not as similar.

That was one of the the things that made me want to determine in my rifle how they compared. Also shot the 270WBY with R25 & R26 and R25 was also a couple hundred fps slower with the same charge weight. Kinda drives me nuts when the data available is sketchy or they use different bullets for each powder so there is no way to make a direct comparison.
Cliff

A ladder test with 7977 in February put a 1 grain spread into a group about the same size as the R25 did yesterday. I should be able to load them all into the 3100+ range. The R26 was max. I have high hopes for R25, if it pans out a store an hour away has some 5 pounders on the shelf.

Cliff

A ladder test with 7977 in February put a 1 grain spread into a group about the same size as the R25 did yesterday. I should be able to load them all into the 3100+ range. The R26 was max. I have high hopes for R25, if it pans out a store an hour away has some 5 pounders on the shelf.

Cliff

So in this particular case RL26 is faster burn rate that RL25 ???
If so that's not the first time I've heard that.

That is what it looks like from the chrono numbers. I didn't trust Quickload's prediction of R25 being slower than R26 so I tested them myself. The 270WBY case is larger and it looks like the burn rate does't change in it. I'll do a ladder test to see where the top velocity is with the R25.

Cliff

R26 as designated by the manufacturer is slower than 25. Supposedly it's the midway powder between 25 and 33. In my 7 SS, it looks like R26 is the best. I couldn't get enough h1000 in the case to get any sort of velocities even close to R26 and imr 7828

Obviously it's NOT slower than rl25.

How so?

That is from the manufacturer. I personally don't know.

Some people think 26 is the temp stable version of 25, but alliant says that 26 is significantly different, but has some of the same performance aspects.

How so?

That is from the manufacturer. I personally don't know.

Some people think 26 is the temp stable version of 25, but alliant says that 26 is significantly different, but has some of the same performance aspects.

Alliant can say whatever they want. You can believe anything you want to read.
. The results are rl26 reaches max pressure before rl25 with the same charge.
Likewise I have found rl23 is faster burn rate than rl22 in a couple of different cartridges .

check out alliants data for 300 rum with a 180 gr speer sp they call for 6.3 gr less rl 26 than rl 25 for almost the same velocity it makes me think they think its faster too

Alliant can say whatever they want. You can believe anything you want to read.
. The results are rl26 reaches max pressure before rl25 with the same charge.
Likewise I have found rl23 is faster burn rate than rl22 in a couple of different cartridges .

I see. That makes sense

I have not been able to get an apples to apples comparison from any source that I can find for these powders, so this morning I went to the range with the 6.5 Sherman to give these a head to head test to satisfy myself as far as the burning rate is concerned.
I loaded the same 6x.xxgr load of each powder under the 143 Hornady ELD-X bullet in Norma cases with F210 primers. The load chosen is not intended to determine the max for each powder, or the most accurate, only to compare speed produced with the same charge. Interesting that R25, 7977, and H1000 produced the same speed.
Cliff

Fantastic info. Thanks for taking the time to do it and inform us.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.