Powder coated bullets

sakorey

1580921131407.png

I just got powder coating working after lots of trial runs. I'm really happy with the results. I'd like to start using them for rifle loads, with gas checks or some other method.

I'd definitely like to get some input from someone's who's been doing it for some time with either tips or tricks.

I'm also willing to share my methods if anyone was wondering.
Yes, they are bonded to the lead, pass the hammer test, and doesn't flake or break off in a brittle manner during sizing or loading.

Also, I realize that the image makes it look like they're a baby-poop brown. That's actually not it. They're golden with a crystalline look to it in the light. Courtesy of the paint color I used.

Last edited:
I do pistol bullets and have played a little with rifle.....here's where I'm at: I have a .25 cal GC mold for my 25-35, that I started running Powder Coated without a GC. It worked well, but was not as accurate as a lubed GC bullet. The coating was too thick to gas check after coating, so the gas check needed to be installed before coating, but the if I resized again after coating like I normally do, the GC wanted to bulge. Not a bunch of help, but at least some of the issues I have faced. My plan is to get a lee sizer and run them through backwards and see if that works.....I only have a .25 cal for my lube sizer right now. Curious if anyone else here has played with this! If I run the PC NO GC bullets subsonic they are very accurate, it's just when I start pushing velocity that the accuracy drops off. What rifle calibers are you trying?

I do pistol bullets and have played a little with rifle.....here's where I'm at: I have a .25 cal GC mold for my 25-35, that I started running Powder Coated without a GC. It worked well, but was not as accurate as a lubed GC bullet. The coating was too thick to gas check after coating, so the gas check needed to be installed before coating, but the if I resized again after coating like I normally do, the GC wanted to bulge. Not a bunch of help, but at least some of the issues I have faced. My plan is to get a lee sizer and run them through backwards and see if that works.....I only have a .25 cal for my lube sizer right now. Curious if anyone else here has played with this! If I run the PC NO GC bullets subsonic they are very accurate, it's just when I start pushing velocity that the accuracy drops off. What rifle calibers are you trying?
I would've been trying .30 cal 150 gr bullets out of Lee molds. Possibly through 30-06 as well as .308. I've also got molds for .311 for my .303 Brit as well as 7.62x54R. I may have just hit a brick wall after seeing this post on another forum though.
1580924469149.png

For me, some of these things are easier to just try than research too much......A lot of what you read is opinion! I'm not saying that the poster you referenced is wrong at all, but you don't typically see velocity's pushed much without gas checked bullets. I think mold design plays into it as well.....In my case the design seems to shoot better with a gas check than without. I would encourage you to research enough to get some ideas to try, and then go try them yourself! I think many people (myself included) look for answers on the internet, and then let negative responses discourage them. You aren't going to hurt anything to cast up and coat some bullets and work up loads starting low and see what happens......If you can find accuracy without leading then you have a winner! If it were me, and my molds were Gas checked, I'd try it without them, see what happen and go from there. If you are able, try catching some of the bullets so you could inspect the bases and see what the story is! Good luck!

That's a fantastic idea, actually. I'll probably end up giving it a shot for sure. As far as catching the bullets, I'll ask a friend to stand on the other end. He played baseball so I'm sure he'll manage with a mitt

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.