HNB Coated Bullets Info & Advice Please

Also, you need to research HBN loading, there are quite a few things you need to look at. Pressure will be lower, so powder charges will need to come up to get the same velocity. The bore needs to be seasoned with HBN after cleaning which requires either coating it with an HBN/alcohol solution or shooting quite a few coated bullets through it before gathering any data. If you use the solution method you should fire a couple of reduced loads with hbn coated bullets or you will see a pressure spike. There is quite a bit of good info over on longrangeonly.com about this. Personally I wouldn't mess with bullets that somebody else coated, you have no idea what process they used and how you would replicate it should you need to.

I had not considered this. I haven't heard of anyone using lead shot to peen the HBN into copper bullets, but I suppose it might work, and might give aa grey cast.
The video I watched recommended this method, with the BB's in a bottle with the HBN and bullets. Then tumble. Let me see if I can find the link again.

Also, you need to research HBN loading, there are quite a few things you need to look at. Pressure will be lower, so powder charges will need to come up to get the same velocity. The bore needs to be seasoned with HBN after cleaning which requires either coating it with an HBN/alcohol solution or shooting quite a few coated bullets through it before gathering any data. If you use the solution method you should fire a couple of reduced loads with hbn coated bullets or you will see a pressure spike. There is quite a bit of good info over on longrangeonly.com about this. Personally I wouldn't mess with bullets that somebody else coated, you have no idea what process they used and how you would replicate it should you need to.
I think I agree with you. I hate to waste all those bullets but I am not familiar with the process or the product. He did thousands of them that way... 168 SMK's. / 80gr A-Max .224's / Accubond / Etc. Oh well, better safe than sorry.

Again, thank you guys for the tips and info.

Now that is a horse of a different color. If I had enough to burn a barrel out I would just find what they liked and shoot them. What I can't stand is having only a couple hundred of something done one way. By the time you figure the load out you have to start over with a new batch.

I think I agree with you. I hate to waste all those bullets but I am not familiar with the process or the product. He did thousands of them that way... 168 SMK's. / 80gr A-Max .224's / Accubond / Etc. Oh well, better safe than sorry.

Again, thank you guys for the tips and info.
I think you're over reacting. I don't see what harm can occur by shooting Moly coated bullets. Although 'Old School' and mis-labeled Moly is a completely vetted method. Helps with throat life, barrel life, and they shoot cooler and at lower pressures. Am I missing something here?

I think you're over reacting. I don't see what harm can occur by shooting Moly coated bullets. Although 'Old School' and mis-labeled Moly is a completely vetted method. Helps with throat life, barrel life, and they shoot cooler and at lower pressures. Am I missing something here?

I don't think it's moly, I think it's hbn that was contaminated with cast lead bullets or using lead shot for a tumbling media. Either way my answer would be the same, if I had a bunch of the same bullet done that way I would use them. I wouldn't waste my time figuring out a load for them if I only had a couple hundred or less of one type.

I use HbN, and I have found almost no downsides, beyond the extra prep time.
I also recommend you look into the handling instructions… mostly about seasoning the bore of your rifle, and also the handling instructions. Everything involved needs to be very clean, dry, oil free and stay that way. I use nitrile gloves to ensure my skin oil doesn't contaminate and surfaces while washing and drying the projectiles, and also handling them in the loading process.

My main concern is the reduction in both copper and carbon fouling, allowing longer intervals between cleaning. I want to be able to shoot several hundred rounds over the course of a day out in the prairie dog fields, with out needing to bring along cleaning stuff. The incidental benefits of extended barrel life, more consistent bore condition/first round impacts are nice, and I also like raising my maximum velocity before encountering pressure signs.
My varmint 223AI's can hit 3600fps with 53g Vmax coated and seasoned, where 3500 was my limit uncoated.

Been using hbN for years. I echo the sentiments that it is harmless to shoot and the aforementioned added benefits. The color is suspicious at a glance, but early on I tried using lead shot. I quit because it turned everything grey. Same goes for any bullet with an exposed lead tip. No issues other than that were encountered.
As indicated before:

Clean bbl to metal
Last patch with alcohol
Pre-treat bbl in alcohol/hbN slurry
*(Beware of high pressure first couple shots)
If no pre-treatment shoot as normal
*(Beware of pressure gradually lowering)

All standard safety practices apply for new loads and components. Enjoy your new found bounty and God Speed the old timer.

I did 200 speer 50 grain varmint(lead tip bullets) with HBN and they look exactly like those carbine bullets..I think it's the lead..the others look to me like they have been heated

Been using hbN for years. I echo the sentiments that it is harmless to shoot and the aforementioned added benefits. The color is suspicious at a glance, but early on I tried using lead shot. I quit because it turned everything grey. Same goes for any bullet with an exposed lead tip. No issues other than that were encountered.
As indicated before:

Clean bbl to metal
Last patch with alcohol
Pre-treat bbl in alcohol/hbN slurry
*(Beware of high pressure first couple shots)
If no pre-treatment shoot as normal
*(Beware of pressure gradually lowering)

All standard safety practices apply for new loads and components. Enjoy your new found bounty and God Speed the old timer.
Thank you. I will do some research and play around with them a little. Luckily, I got plenty that were not treated as well. I will be well stocked for .30 cal and .22 cal for a good long while

You do not need to coat the barrel with HBN first. That came straight from the mouth of David Tubb when I had a conversation with him. The coated bullets season the barrel in about 20-30 shots. Will coating it first speed the process? Probably.

I use the coated DTACs and think barrels clean up quicker because of the HBN. It does take a slight bit more powder because it's slippery and lowers pressure. Maybe .3-.5 grains in a Creedmoor sized case. Ultimately you can get slightly higher speeds before hitting pressure if you have room in the case for a bit more powder.

I don't push hard anymore, I like the easier cleaning and the possibility of the cold bore shot being with the rest of the group.

Last edited: