Powder blend

Anyone ever blend rifle powder? If so how did it go. I know ammunition manufacturers blend powders to achieve there needs and bullet speed for proprietary purposes.
I suspect the few
Anyone ever blend rifle powder? If so how did it go. I know ammunition manufacturers blend powders to achieve there needs and bullet speed for proprietary

That is an EXTREMELY bad idea. I saw the results when my buddys dad accidently mixed some shotgun powder when I was a kid. That old Belgium Browning hump back was never the same Lol. No injuries

What you might call a recipe for disaster. I usually blend the tail end of a cannister of powder with a new one of the SAME type to try and minimise any variation between batches. But blending two different types of powder is a whole different matter and should be considered a no no.

From Hodgdon website;

Never mix any two powders regardless of type, brand, or source. Never substitute any use nitrocellulose based smokeless powder for Black Powder or any Black Powder substitute. Never use nitrocellulose based smokeless propellant powder in muzzleloading firearms.

Use the data provided with Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders only.
For all powders, use only the components shown. If the reloader makes any changes in components or gets new lot numbers, he should begin again with the starting loads and work up to maximum cautiously. Never exceed maximum charges.
Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester ballistic data was obtained under strictly controlled laboratory conditions.
Never substitute components (except where indicated) when using the data herein. Substitution of different components could cause excessive or dangerous pressures, which could damage or destroy your firearm, or cause serious personal injury, or even death to the user and/or bystanders.

Ballistic data varies considerably depending on many factors, including components used, how such components are assembled, the type of firearm used, and the reloading techniques and safety precautions utilized by the individual.
Since Hodgdon Powder Company has no control over variations in components, reloading tools, or reloaders procedures, the individual is solely responsible for any changes in ballstics that may occur using this data.

After choosing an appropriate load, we recommend to weigh actual charges thrown by a bushing or charge bar. No bushing or charge bar throws the exact charge as listed in the bushing/charge bar charts. Such changes occur because of small tolerances in bushing sizes, tolerances in bulk density of powder, and the way each loader is mounted and operated. It is important to verify weights for safety and to ensure a proper load.

Powder left in the reloader's powder measure hoppers for extended periods, overnight or several days, should be avoided. Powder needs to be stored in original containers ONLY when not in use. Numerous modern smokeless powders are double base in construction, containing both Nitrocellulose and Nitroglycerine.

Many powder measures use plastics containing polystyrene, which Nitroglycerine adversely affects when contact is made for extended periods of time, resulting in etching or misshaping the plastic. Normal usage during the reloading process does not provide adequate time for this to occur, so simply draining hoppers into the original containers when the reloading is completed for the day, prevents damaging the hoppers.
====================================

Guess this sums up a lot of "can I?".

Just because its dangerous doesnt mean you wont learn something! Read it in a book, somebody told me, I dont think it will work and it isnt safe will not give you real life experiences! Live a little, Nobody gets outa this life alive.
Take it from the past president of the " hold my Sothern and watch this " club= A lot of bad things can happen and very little good. Useing duplex loads and blended powder is a little like reloading steel cases, yes you can do it but for me anymore its a very last resort.

If you are lucky you get Returball...most likely you get stumpy...
You could blend for example two different lots of RL 22, but not two different powders
My opinion anyways
Personally, I'd even be reluctant to mix different lots of the same designated powder. People probably do it but I believe that I'll opt out of that one!