Powder Alert!

One of my local gun stores just got a bit of Hodgdon powders in and it is $63.00/lb. I asked and they said the prices have jumped that much.
Bought 2 lbs of 6.5StaBal last week at the Ft Worth Cabelas, $42.99 / lb. They had 10 or 12 on hand & guite a bit of Hodgdon distributed powder (no Varget) at $39-46 / lb. Some 8 lb kegs (AA4350 & others) at $244 ea, IIRC.

More powder in stock than I've seen since 2019....

Worked at a camera store in the 70's. Federal regs required dealer cost to be based on volume buys with maximum discounts based on relatively small quantities (12 of one model). But high volume dealers like us got ad reimbursements, promo materials (windbreakers, brochures, branded bags, etc.) free AND better invoicing. 2% 89 days net 90 when smaller dealers got net 30.

Wonder whether bigger dealers get lower prices or LGS are just charging what the market will bear...

I know I wouldn't want to work in - or own - a retail shop now.

Bought 2 lbs of 6.5StaBal last week at the Ft Worth Cabelas, $42.99 / lb. They had 10 or 12 on hand & guite a bit of Hodgdon distributed powder (no Varget) at $39-46 / lb. Some 8 lb kegs (AA4350 & others) at $244 ea, IIRC.

Worked at a camera store in the 70's. Federal regs required dealer cost to be based on volume buys with maximum discounts based on relatively small quantities (12 of one model). But high volume dealers like us got ad reimbursements, promo materials (windbreakers, brochures, branded bags, etc.) free AND better invoicing. 2% 89 days net 90 when smaller dealers got net 30.

Wonder whether bigger dealers get lower prices or LGS are just charging what the market will bear...

I also work managing finances for Texas Hunting Equipment.. retail shops with especially reloading equipment is rough. Unless you know somebody at these powder companies you're not getting deals at all. For us sometimes we get charged way more than what cabela's is even carrying stuff for. As far as primers? Federal isn't even sending any to smaller distributors.

I just got 2# of Varget powder. It was $45.43 per lbs. By the time I got done with all the fees, it end up at $62.00 per lbs. I was trying to make sure that others could get some too. It took me a year to get that! the other is, I haven't used Varget in anything, so I don't know much about how it does. To me it looks like is could be a good powder. The real problem is Where are the primers from Federal?
I did some looking @ Varget powder yesterday. I noted it slower than IMR 4064. Looked at Hodgdon load info on line. They really had the 220 Swift loaded down. Less grains than 4064 and slower too.
I am beginning to think that the suppliers are taking us to the cleaners. I do realize that more types of powders are staying up on the market longer now, but where and the hell is the rest at?

Glad to see you didn't scrounge up all the powder at once and leave the shelves empty for the next guy. I commend you both on that.

Wish I could help y'all out but like my primers I bought this H1000 for almost $100/bottle
But if anyone wants to trade I could do that

Last edited:
Ya got to sell for what it costs to replace. All depends on availability. Last year I had to trade almost two Varget for every one RL26.
It's a crying shame how the few want to impose their liberal ideas on the everyone. There would not be a shortage of Powder/Primers if it wasn't for Clinton, Obama, Brandon. In all reality it is the people that voted them in that caused all this.