Powder Alert!

No manufacturer ever sells for less than retail outlets. That's a quick way to go out of business.
Starline brass seems to be an exception to this general rule at present.

And yes, I seem to find myself downsizing from my magnums but the major reason is I moved to a timbered area where a 100 yd shot would be hard to come by. Still the price and availability of components doesn't make me want to pull the 338 Edge out of the safe.

Just on Hodgon's website and they have popular powders but the prices are super high.
Is this the new normal?
Powder is more available now...Natchez, Midsouth, Midway, all have some at 35.00lb average. Primers are the real issue looks like. Without primers the rest is useless....

H1000 has been MIA for some time now and I guess Hodgon needs to make a little more money these days.
Waiting has not worked for me and all I have of H1000 is one pound and that won't go far.
I guess I may need to re-visit Hodgen's website.
Not really sure how that is when they been so busy not being able to get supplies out to the reloaders cuz they're so busy with other ammunition contracts

Just on Hodgon's website and they have popular powders but the prices are super high.
Is this the new normal?
One of my local gun stores just got a bit of Hodgdon powders in and it is $63.00/lb. I asked and they said the prices have jumped that much.

They always charge much more, they are protecting the people that feed them , their distributors. If this is on their site for sale it probably means they have released a lot of powder to their distributors who have it for sale at much lower prices. I am on notify with a lot of the powder and reloading companies and receiving notifications that they are getting bullets ,brass and powders in. Not many rifle primers yet. JMHO

Hurts even more when you make custom loads for other people, and you have to charge more than regular loaded ammo! Its not just the powders and primers and bullets, it's the die sets too. Having to pay over $400 for a bushing die set in 338 lapua is not what it used to be. I've ended up settling with redding Competition die sets instead to save people the money unless it's for competition matches.

Hurts even more when you make custom loads for other people, and you have to charge more than regular loaded ammo! Its not just the powders and primers and bullets, it's the die sets too. Having to pay over $400 for a bushing die set in 338 lapua is not what it used to be. I've ended up settling with redding Competition die sets instead to save people the money unless it's for competition matches.
Everything has went up from milk to steaks. It's a privilege to find what you are looking for in certain commodities and that comes with a price. I load my own and pick and choose what rifle to load for. A .280 Ackley or a 6.5 PRC kills them just as dead as a 7 or 300 mag. You may have to stalk a little but you have more bullets to fool with. All of those rifles are distance shooters and dead is dead.

Everything has went up from milk to steaks. It's a privilege to find what you are looking for in certain commodities and that comes with a price. I load my own and pick and choose what rifle to load for. A .280 Ackley or a 6.5 PRC kills them just as dead as a 7 or 300 mag. You may have to stalk a little but you have more bullets to fool with.
Very true! I enjoy reloading so i never complained about price, but other people certainly get nasty when you tell them how expensive it is

I am now entering the era pf pip squeak calibers & tiny powder charges, mostly ball powders.
My accurized Ruger 77/22 K-Hornet has been getting some range time. Four plus lbs of AA2400 on hand goes pretty far at 11gr per round. Couple thousand small rifle primers still in my stash. Shooting 40gr Vmax as 40gr Ballistic Tips have been unobtainium.

I just got 2# of Varget powder. It was $45.43 per lbs. By the time I got done with all the fees, it end up at $62.00 per lbs. I was trying to make sure that others could get some too. It took me a year to get that! the other is, I haven't used Varget in anything, so I don't know much about how it does. To me it looks like is could be a good powder. The real problem is Where are the primers from Federal?
I did some looking @ Varget powder yesterday. I noted it slower than IMR 4064. Looked at Hodgdon load info on line. They really had the 220 Swift loaded down. Less grains than 4064 and slower too.
I am beginning to think that the suppliers are taking us to the cleaners. I do realize that more types of powders are staying up on the market longer now, but where and the hell is the rest at?