Potential muzzle brake problem

A352

I figured I would ask on the forums about this problem since I have never dealt with this issue before. I recently purchased a Christensen Arms 300 Win Mag. It is a very lightweight rifle even with the scope and bipod. It came with a muzzle brake installed. It is ported every direction and is lifting the rifle off the ground when I fire it. I'm having a difficult time even getting a 1MOA group and I have tried numerous reloads different case lengths you name it I have tried it. I am now thinking the problem might be muzzle brake related. I'm guessing that the rifle is shifting before the bullet even leaves the barrel. I shoot with brakes on many rifles but have never seen them jump around like this. Hoping someone has had this issue and might be able to give me some possible solutions before I have to buy a different style of brake. Thanks

Most likely it is a drilled hole brake and they are not very effective compared to a baffled/ported brake. In addition they blow dirt everywhere when shot prone. I'd look for a brake with milled ports angled back toward the shooter slightly.

Most likely it is a drilled hole brake and they are not very effective compared to a baffled/ported brake. In addition they blow dirt everywhere when shot prone. I'd look for a brake with milled ports angled back toward the shooter slightly.

^^^+1! And since it's already threaded, I'd look no further than IdahoCTD's self-timed brakes. ^^^

I would start be pulling it off and seeing if there are any improvements in your groups. If need be use a rest to help with the recoil while doing this.

Just my opinion but if it won't shoot well without one I doubt it will with one.

czim

I figured I would ask on the forums about this problem since I have never dealt with this issue before. I recently purchased a Christensen Arms 300 Win Mag. It is a very lightweight rifle even with the scope and bipod. It came with a muzzle brake installed. It is ported every direction and is lifting the rifle off the ground when I fire it. I'm having a difficult time even getting a 1MOA group and I have tried numerous reloads different case lengths you name it I have tried it. I am now thinking the problem might be muzzle brake related. I'm guessing that the rifle is shifting before the bullet even leaves the barrel. I shoot with brakes on many rifles but have never seen them jump around like this. Hoping someone has had this issue and might be able to give me some possible solutions before I have to buy a different style of brake. Thanks
Recoil is a common problem with the Christiansen Arms rifles because they are so light.

You are going to have some muzzle flip just due to the lightness of the barrel but you can tame it considerably with a side/top discharge brake.

I find the North West Precision brakes to be extremely effective recoil tamers are a very reasonable price and they are not at all hard on the ears.

Muzzle Brake Compensator Rifle or Pistol | eBay

I use the slotted version but have one that's almost identical to their drilled six hole version on one rifle and it works very well too. I think the muzzle flip reduction is better with the slotted version however.

I talked with them Friday about a special size and they are making brakes for the next two weeks to build up some inventory so whatever you need you can get with little or no waiting.

Are you shooting from a bipod or front rest? Some rifles bounce all over the place when using a bipod but calm down with a rest/bag....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.