POST YOUR SHERMAN KILLS

elkaholic

I thought it might be very informative if you could post your kills with any Sherman cartridge. Include pics, loads, range, terminal performance etc. It might be a good source of info and a chance to brag a little without being too obvious! Some of you guys just need a little coaxing. I get a lot of pics from clients that I know would interest all of you, but I don't want to post for others!:D. Today, for example, I had a guy tell me that he whacked a deer (muley I think) at 1300 yards with his 6.5 SS. Post 'em up guys. This could be a great source of load combos that work as well.....Rich

Already posted these in another thread but what the heck! 270 Sherman on a model 70 crf with a 27" rock creek 8 twist throated long. 63.5 grains of RL-26 behind a 170 Berger. 3060fps. Hers was at roughly 120 yards and mine at 575. Both shot through both lungs and both went about 50 or so yards before expiring. Mine maybe a little more but very quick none the less.

Attachments

• IMG_2072.PNG
    IMG_2072.PNG
    350.2 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_2087.PNG
    IMG_2087.PNG
    341 KB · Views: 328
Couple of nice bucks there! How did the 170 do damage wise? Pencil in and golf ball out? Congrats to you both......rich

Couple of nice bucks there! How did the 170 do damage wise? Pencil in and golf ball out? Congrats to you both......rich
Both were near identical even with the extreme difference in range. Caliber entrance through the hide and probably around quarter sized exit. Inside the ribs it looked a lot different. Golf ball sized exit through the ribs if not a touch bigger, it just didn't leave that big of a hole in the hide. Went right over the heart on both shots but honestly there wasn't a piece of lung left on either that was as big as the heart. I was surprised they ran anywhere but even if it would've been in terrible conditions for trailing I don't think anyone could've missed the blood trails if they got within 20 yards of them. It was a great hunt to break in a new rifle on. I'm not too happy with the hs stock I put on it but I've got a Mcmillan game scout coming that should satisfy.

I won't be posting any pictures due to their graphic nature, but I ran my 7mm SS at some pretty ridiculous speeds with 140gr Sierra SBTs and blasted coyotes from my front porch. High shoulder shots inside 200 yards would decapitate them.

First blood with my 6.5 Sherman. Shot this buck on the WY opener back in October. Load was 140 gr VLD over 60.5 gr RL-26 for a MV of 3167 fps. Found the buck at 375, dialed up, and sent one into the boiler room! He never knew what hit him and tipped over a few seconds later.
Sherman1.JPG

deer2.PNG

buck2.jpg

buck3.jpg

My brother in law also had a tag and after looking over a few different bucks, we found a nice tall buck that he was happy tagging. I brought my rifle along just in case a longer shot presented itself (his 300 WSM is topped with an old 3-9x leupold). His buck was bedded at 460 and it was just a matter of waiting him out. My BIL got prone, and dry fired a few times while waiting for the buck to stand. 10 minutes later, once the buck stood, the 140 VLD dropped him like a bolt of lightning!

sbuck1.JPG

A day later, I went out to fill my cow elk tag. We found a herd hanging out at the top of our property and with light fading, we hustled to get as close as we could. There was a canyon between us and there wasn't enough time to drop down and attempt to sneak closer. I got prone, settled down, and found a cow feeding broadside at 583 yards. With absolutely no wind and a rock solid rest, I felt confident in the conditions. A few seconds later, she was down at the shot! It made for a long night of packing out, but was definitely worth it. The 140 VLD performed well in my rifle and I look forward to using it on game again. I recovered the VLD from my buck and cow and the weight retention was actually fairly close to each other.
cow1.jpg

cow2.jpg

bullet1.JPG

Last edited:
We're you using Norma brass Rob?

Rich, I was actually using Hornady 270 brass. I had about 70 formed cases to work with. I'll eventually get around to using a little nicer/consistent brass, but for now this ought to work!

P.S. I worked up to 61.5 gr of RL-26 with the 140 VLD for a MV of 3226, but groups weren't quite as tight.

Rich, I was actually using Hornady 270 brass. I had about 70 formed cases to work with. I'll eventually get around to using a little nicer/consistent brass, but for now this ought to work!

P.S. I worked up to 61.5 gr of RL-26 with the 140 VLD for a MV of 3226, but groups weren't quite as tight.

Looks like the Hornady worked! Ya, 3097 is fairy mild load

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.