Possible excessive shoulder set back with new Redding Premium die

No your brass will be just fine. It's only .002 more than optimal. The world record holder at Williamsport sizes his .008 set back every time. All dies and Chambers are slightly different that's why I don't set my dies up to the directions. In a perfect world with perfect tollerence that would work. But Chambers can be as much as . 005 different and still be in spec. Factory dies need to accommodate this variance. That why I always back my die off a little and sneak up on the setback.
Shep

Cat shooter. I was not talking about score shooters. I'm talking about all bench rest shooters. Practically no one just neck sizes anymore. After 2 or 3 shots your brass doesn't fit the chamber correctly. This is a fact. But since you been neck sizing for 60 some yrs I understand why you do it. Because that's what guys did back then because they thought is was best. But it's not the 50s or 60s any more. And Rock McMillians group will probably never be beat forever. It was a freak of nature group. They say it was really .004 before it was measured all those times messing up the paper. Go to the Super Shoot at Kelblys and ask all those top shooters how they size their brass.

Actually, you don't understand anything. You should spend a few years actually shooting group benchrest before trying to debate it. I still have three group benchrest rifles, and still compete locally.

You don't!!

1 - "After 2 or 3 shots your brass doesn't fit the chamber correctly." Not true. After 2 or 3 relaodings, the case fits the chamber perfectly. Every time you FL size a case, it is no longer a proper fit - it is smaller and shorter all over.

2 - "Go to the Super Shoot at Kelblys and ask all those top shooters how they size their brass."
They size their cases in Wilson Arbor dies - which are neck size dies.

The guys that don't win use arbor presses with Wilson neck dies. Ask Tony Boyer what he uses. Ask Jack Neary. Ask Ratigan. I have. All hall of fame benchrest shooters who win now. They all full length size their brass. No sense continuing this conversation with you because you are stuck in the past. Someone moved your cheese you just don't know it yet.
Shep

I just ran my first 20 once fired .280AI cases through a properly set up full length resizing die (per manufacturer's instructions). The brass measured 2.131" before it was shot with a tame starting load to break in the barrel. The brass went into the resizing die at the same length of 2.131" and came out at 2.126". Being that the brass didn't stretch to chamber length on one light load, I did not expect to see the shoulder pushed back that far. Should I now anticipate a problem on the next loading with this brass because of the head clearance?

You have a slight mismatch between the chamber and the die. Just turn your FL size die out until it's about 0.004-0.006 away from the shell holder. Check to make sure that the cases chamber properly after that. A thickness gauge like this one works great for that purpose.

https://www.zoro.com/performance-to...ts&gclid=CPzOwZuW5-gCFVV6gQodUjgO_A&gclsrc=ds

"The guys that don't win use arbor presses with Wilson neck dies."
Well who uses them then - hunters don't use them, varmint shooters don't use them, but guys that adjust their loads during a match use them, and Wilson sells a hellova lot of them...

Jack Neary sizes his cases so they are longer than the chamber - he describes it in a series of videos on YouTube.

When you sink to name calling and insults, instead of facts and science, you lose! Too bad for you.

So he stated right in this video that he sizes his brass back .001 of shoulder bump. He isn't doing that with a neck sizing die. Did you not watch the video. And yes I know he full length sizes because I ask him. Watch the video again. Start at 1.06 he stated straight up he shoulder bumps .001.
Shep

So he stated right in this video that he sizes his brass back .001 of shoulder bump. He isn't doing that with a neck sizing die. Did you not watch the video. And yes I know he full length sizes because I ask him. Watch the video again. Start at 1.06 he stated straight up he shoulder bumps .001.
Shep

I watched the video - he shows that the bolt will not drop closed of it's own weight and explains that the fit requires the bolt to be closed by hand the last 1/3rd of it's travel... watch it again.

He also says that ANY space, even 0.001 will cause case stretch, which we all know, leads to head separation.

If someone wants to neck size til they die and it works thats great. No need to throw rocks about it. On a hunting site 99 percent will be sizing the body. I personally dont know anybody that neck sizes anymore. And most laugh that i bother with the lee collet at all since most use a bushing....but it works for me.

Also if your able to skip the full length shot after shot im sure that has to do with caliber and load. 338 win didnt like it very long for me.

hunters will have loose primer pockets or a split neck long before a case head separation.

The Lee collet die makes so really straight ammo. If you full length with a bushing die without the bushing and then hit the neck with the Lee collet die it makes a real tight run out on straightness. My very first die was a Lee collet die in 30-06. Your right about those primer pockets going before a separation. Supposed to be able to fix primer pockets with a ball bearing and a punch.
Shep

No your brass will be just fine. It's only .002 more than optimal. The world record holder at Williamsport sizes his .008 set back every time. All dies and Chambers are slightly different that's why I don't set my dies up to the directions. In a perfect world with perfect tollerence that would work. But Chambers can be as much as . 005 different and still be in spec. Factory dies need to accommodate this variance. That why I always back my die off a little and sneak up on the setback.
Shep
This is what I was looking for. Thank you for your response...

We dont know the head to datum measurement that represents the true dimensions of your chamber.

A crush fit when closing the bolt is when to measure .

The little 223 comes apart with .014" head clearance. But may take 3 firings.

Brass may be damaged if head clearance is excessive on the first firing. Military surplus rifles have show this.

You should be ok when using the custom shell holders.

So my main question is whether the brass will be compromised firing it with that much head space.
Only time will tell. How many firings were you expecting form this brass?
I say load it and fire it, use your noggin next go, lol Just keep a grip on the brass, a case coming apart in your chamber usually ruins your outing, unless you are prepared. But I would never tell anyone you have the tools with to combat the situation, you may get treated like you have the "virus", or the plague.

The comparator is used to measure fully expanded fired brass to sized brass.

I was supprised to see SAAMI has standards for the 280al
20200414_093333.jpg
20200414_093425.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts