Setting a shoulder back

sandbar782

I have been reloading for a few years and am working toward building a more precise load while getting extended life from my brass. I have see it written that the shoulder should be set back .002 during FL sizing. Without purchasing extra tooling, how is this achieved? I have many fired cases from my chamber to work with.

A shoulder bump die is really all you need.

http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=27654

IMO, somewhere between .001 and .002 is sufficient shoulder set back for a bolt action rifle. Too much set back shortens case life, adversely affects accuracy and may be dangerous. But we have to keep in mind that the more the brass if used the stiffer it becomes (work hardened) and, progressively, it suffers from "spring back" so the set back can be lost. That's why I anneal the brass.

I don't even worry about shoulder set-back... I just neck-size all mine till they get tight when chambering, then I FL size them, then repeat the process again.

Hornady makes a caliper attachment that can measure the base to datum length. Measure the fired brass, then run your full length die down in small increments until you see a shoulder set back of .002 or however far you think you may need. Then, I mark the die and the press with a marker to get an index for next time. It is pretty close but make sure to make fine adjustments as needed. I think the Forester shoulder bump die works the same. If you are running a belted magnum, a FL die is a god idea due to the area above the belt needing a little squeeze.

Hornady makes a caliper attachment that can measure the base to datum length. Measure the fired brass, then run your full length die down in small increments until you see a shoulder set back of .002 or however far you think you may need. Then, I mark the die and the press with a marker to get an index for next time. It is pretty close but make sure to make fine adjustments as needed. I think the Forester shoulder bump die works the same. If you are running a belted magnum, a FL die is a god idea due to the area above the belt needing a little squeeze.

This is good advice.
I don't set my shoulders back till they start forcing me to put pressure on my bolt lugs. Then I set them back. I use a candle and smoke a few cases at the neck and shoulder. Then screw my FL die down till it only removes the smoke residue from the neck. It works really well.....

Could you please link me to that product...I have been wanding if it was available to the public.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...nady-lock-n-load-headspace-kit-prod55256.aspx

Here they are and you can get the other comparators for measuring off the ogive to confirm seating depth.

Learn to set the dies up to bump just .001 to .002 and FL size every time and you will be good to go. I would get rid of the expander ball decapper and go to a straight decapper pin with no expander.
Yeah, I've already got the comparator kit for measuring base-to-ogive, and the OAL gauge that uses the modified cases. About all I'm lacking now is the datum line comparator, so when I input all my wildcats and design my wildcat calibers I have something accurate to input data off of.

If your comparator is the Hornady or Stoney point you can just buy the bushings for the headspace gauge. The part that screws on the caliper is the same. I pick one of the bushings that go halfway down the shoulder. That way I get a good reading of what I bump. Matt

Just purchased the Hornady kit to measure this. Watched the video on YouTube, seems simple enough. Thanks to everyone for your time in replying.

The Hornady kit worked very well for me. It did seem that if the dies were set up per the instructions that came with the them, they generally achieved .002 set back. Not sure this would apply to all manufacturer's dies so having this kit provides a convenient and accurate check.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts