Possible issue with Redding Type S bushing die

cornchuck

I have been using a Redding Type S full length rising die for my .308 for about 8 years now. I started off running Remington brass. Got the recom mended bushing for the brass and everything was fine. I switched to Lapua brass a few years ago. Again, got the recommended bushing and again everything was fine.

I put a new batch of Lapua brass in service just recently. Loaded up my usual load of 42.5 grains of Varget and 175gr Sierra TMK's. I wasn't expecting much out of virgin brass, just fire forming. They shot great.

Got them fire formed and wanted to try Nosler's 175 RDF for a OCW test. I only loaded 33 rounds for the test. Decided to load the rest (67 out of 100) with my usual load as mentioned above. I started to load and I noticed bulge half way up the neck from the shoulder. First thought was the bushing. Did I have the right on in? Took the die apart like I do regulary for cleaning, to see if the right bushing was in. It was. .335" bushing for this brass.

So I got to measuring things. Where you are suppose to measure for the bushing on the brass, i got .338". My first thought was that is a little tighter neck tension than I want. I got to looking closer, I can see where the base of the bullet is bulging the brass out. Between the shoulder and base of the bullet, it measured .333". I don't think that should be right. I measured the inside of the .335" bushing and got .332"

Questions are:
1. Even if the bushing is marked .335" shouldn't the inside of the bushing measure .335"?
2. Can I shoots these or pull the bullets and start over?

Please see pictures below

Jason

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0654_LI.jpg
IMG_0655.JPG
IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG

Your using the wrong tool to measure the bushings inside diameter. Pin gauges are needed.

A loaded rounds neck diameter should not be larger in diameter than .343" to chamber safely in a 308 win. factory rifle.

Measure the neck before and after seating a bullet. If larger by about .002" after seating ,it has enough neck tension.

If a bushing has to size down fired brass more then .008" The neck may be smaller in diameter then whats marked on the bushing.
http://www.redding-reloading.com/tech-line-a-tips-faqs/140-bushing-selection
It has come to our attention through customer calls and our own use of the bushing style sizing dies that in certain instances, a given neck sizing bushing will produce a case neck diameter that can be several thousandths of an inch smaller than the actual diameter of the bushing. This idiosyncrasy occurs when the neck diameter of the fired case is a great deal larger than the diameter of the neck sizing bushing, such as occurs when factory chambers are on the large side of the tolerance range and the brass is on the thin side. Typically, we have not noticed any problems until the case neck is reduced more than 0.008-0.010".

Last edited:
Have you mic'ed the bullets? There are the occasional bad batches of bullets that are oversize.

Second, have you seated many bullets this far out in the neck with your setup before? Maybe the bulge has always been there. I've seen a slight bulge on my rounds before, when seating long. Just thinking out loud here......

if you are saying your bullet base goes deeper that that bulge , show a side by side picture of a loose bullet next to the loaded one to show where the bullet base stops

that picture just looks like you are seating too far out , for that bullet choice -- if you are needing to be that far out ( and it still fits in chamber ) -- a guy might want to look for a heavier bullet that has a longer shank/ bearing surface -- because it looks like you are barely seating into the neck about .200 with a .308 bullet ,

id bet your bushing ends up being exactly what it is supposed to be ,when measured with a better tool

what bullet , OAL , case base to ogive measurement , what is your measurement at the neck between the bulge and the mouth

has your OAL been getting longer in eight years , erroading ??

Thank you all for the replies.

243winxb- That was a helpful and informative piece from Redding.

cdherman- The ones I have measured are all right there at .308.

cdherman and DUSTY NOOGIN- When I developed this load, I was seating them at 2.227" CBTO. I did a seating test recently where I ran the bullet out to 2.3" in 0.010 increments starting at 2.227. I found one load that shot good at 2.290" and stuck with it. Never paid attention to a bulge. When I was seating deeper there was probably no bulge. And no I didn't run it to 2.290" because of barrel erosion. I don't think I'm there yet.

Looks like I'll seat them deeper.

Thank you again
Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.