Portable shooting bench recommendations

Actually, considering the big price difference the Ultimate tripod system is hard to beat.
Using one of those, 3 of us killed 3 of a group of 4 bucks in less than 5 minits, all with the same gun, a 300 Norma weighing 18#.
Distance varied from 635 to about 750 yards.
That wouldnt have been possible with a bench within that time frame.
Mine has the optional rear setup for a rabbit ear bag.

IMG_0040.jpeg
IMG_0041.jpeg
IMG_0042.jpeg
image.jpg
I use a portable bench for load development and zeroing, not hunting. So I'm looking for something rock solid that can be wrestled in and out of a truck, no packing around.

Here's my old DIY bench. It folds flat with top still clamped in, fast deploy and pretty darned steady once you get the legs kicked out away from center. She needs a little loving but still in use.

View attachment 544259View attachment 544260View attachment 544261View attachment 544262I use a portable bench for load development and zeroing, not hunting. So I'm looking for something rock solid that can be wrestled in and out of a truck, no packing around.

Here's my old DIY bench. It folds flat with top still clamped in, fast deploy and pretty darned steady once you get the legs kicked out away from center. She needs a little loving but still in use.
Type of terrain where your hunting needs serious consideration when choosing a platform to shoot from.
Note that the terrain in the photo is pretty flat, making a platform without leg adjustments more suitable.
The terrain where we hunt is mountainous, and very uneven.
Consider how much discussion takes place about mounting a scope so that the reticle is level.
So it only stands to reason that the scope needs to remain level when we shoot, regardless of terrain conditions.
I carry a small torpedo level in the box my shooting rest is packed in. And we adjust the bench legs so that it is level from side to side when we set up.
Yes we hunt from stationary locations, so what we use isnt what someone else might prefer.

As i got older and more decrepid, i began to realize that standing while shooting has numerous advantages.
And of coarse a good tripod system is intended for doing that.
It is entirely possible to combine features a bench has with features a tripod has.
But it isnt easy and it isnt cheap.
And frankly, neither is a good bench.

Well gentlemen, just letting you know that LegacyShootingProducts.com IS indeed still in business. We stopped production for a short while but we are now back to full speed and cranking out the benches you guys and gals are asking for.

We have had a renewed demand for left hand benches (surprisingly) and are now offering that option as well.

We had to adjust prices because of raw material and operating costs but we're still here, ten years now and going strong.

Right now we are about 3-4 weeks to ship a new order but that should get better by mid March.

Blessings!!

saw good write ups on these, and just got back in production. Was going to buy one, but had to get another because in a hurry.

Also see you are in Texas and so are they so might work.
I have an ambidextrous model. They are well made, reasonable light and nice to use.

Well gentlemen, just letting you know that LegacyShootingProducts.com IS indeed still in business. We stopped production for a short while but we are now back to full speed and cranking out the benches you guys and gals are asking for.

We have had a renewed demand for left hand benches (surprisingly) and are now offering that option as well.

We had to adjust prices because of raw material and operating costs but we're still here, ten years now and going strong.

Right now we are about 3-4 weeks to ship a new order but that should get better by mid March.

Blessings!!
This is definitely on the purchase list! Thanks for the update.

This works well when adjusted to sitting height. I like it more than a single point tripod because rifle is supported at 2 points & balance is not important. Get this thing about 36 inches above ground with tripod legs spread wide apart & it works real good. Total weight is less than 20 pounds. Bottom part is Martha Stewart 10-inch Teflon fry pan screwed onto 3/4, 5 plywood bottom to plywood, & 3/8 bolt with big thumb screw tightened up with channel locks, so Teflon contacts smooth top of tripod - turning enabled, Elevation controlled by Lead Sled. Wobbles a little bit when at standing but when wide stance tripod leg at sitting works better than most single point tripods. Nice folding chair with back rest - low profile blends in good, better since everything painted nice olive green,

Works good without Lead Sled with front & rear rest. Effective with Ruger MKIV .22 LR pistol & scope & sandbag for 75-yard targets.

No plans to pack this thing on mountain adventures but will be part of this year's rodent shooting,

Top shape changed. Have been asked to provide more details and photos.

View attachment 470575
Plans for this rodent season.

Trimmed down top & covered with tan vinyl and looking for sturdy, light weight stable chair or stool. Need to keep total weight under 60 pounds for limited foot transport, like under 150 yards on kind of flat ground. Some places don't allow motor travel off 2 track roads. Shiny show rifle to be replaced by drab rodent killer rifle(s). Thinking about folding canvas aluminum 4 leg stool with zipper pouch like I packed along for NRA hi power, about 3 pounds - I sat on it while peering thru spotter & scoring for other shooters - zipper bag for water & eaties.

7/8 exterior plywood top does not flex like plastic top that came with tripod. Plywood top can be used with bipod and no Lead Sled to cut weight to about 30 pounds.

Last edited:
I just took this out of storage. You should really have two people set it up. I carried it in my Duffle bag from the Marines. (it's heavy). It was not a problem when I was younger. I struggled today.
I kind of rushed the pictures because the sun is starting to go down.
You can adjust about anything on this and set it up on uneven ground. Very comfortable to use all day long.
If you have any questions, please PM us and we can then talk on the phone.
Thanks
Len & Jill

Attachments

• RASS5.jpg
    RASS5.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 32
  • RASS4.jpg
    RASS4.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 38
  • RASS3.jpg
    RASS3.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 39
  • RASS2.jpg
    RASS2.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 32
  • RASS1.jpg
    RASS1.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 32
  • RASS Baged.jpg
    RASS Baged.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 30
If you are going to shoot dogs at some range, you need to get your elbow supported on a tabletop, this also provides you with a MUCH greater chance of seeing your hits

I made my benches out of 1.5" thick plywood and purchased the leg brackets from a guy on 24hrcampfire. You could make a 3 or 4-leg version and I preferred the Four-leg version. I went to Home Depot and got the legs cut and threaded, 1.5" pipe. You could put a 300 lb Buffalo Heffer up on the tabletop doing a lap dance and the table was SOLID. A handle installed on the front and back of the table allowed for easy transport. I nailed some carpet on the bottom to act as holders for the legs as you screw them on and off. I put carpet on top of mine and had some V notches on the right-hand side to lean rifles up against. A drummer's stool is my favorite chair.

It is aggravating to put a little pressure on the top of the tabletop and watch the cross-hair dance, a 1.5" tabletop does not budge the cross-hair.

IMG_0338.jpeg
IMG_4503.jpeg
I didn't read every reply, but portable seems to be neglected from some of the recommendations. Portable, in my mind would mean easily moved and handled. When we go for PDs, we will shoot a field, pack up and move, shoot again, pack up and move. So all the bigger more static benches don't seem that portable.

I have 2 of the Muddy Shooting Benches I bought at Sportsman's Warehouse. They are 2 piece and relatively easy to move, just watch for pinched fingers when handling the legs. They have a triple leg base so they won't rock and the shooting table has a lock on it to keep the table solid. The whole bench swivels 360 degrees, so you can stay centered on the table and rotate to different areas of the field….