Portable shooting bench recommendations

Well I'm way late on this one Guys but I see alot of great ideas !
I have spent my hole life as a Carpenter so this is my bench !
Made from 1 sheet of 3/4" CDX plywood .

This is very portable , it comes apart and back together in minutes. Plus It will lay flat in the Truck bed and you can pile all your gear on top of it !
Plus it's set up for right or left hand shooters ...in just minutes. View attachment 491023

Oh I forgot to mention, this bench helped me hit my furthest distance to date !
3027 yards , 1.72 miles !
After my Open Heart Surgery it's very painful to lay prone for very long !

View attachment 491022

Rum Man
Go out and start cutting firewood.
It will loosen that chest up. Had my zipper mark put in 12 years ago and cut and split a pickup load yesterday. Stay active and it will work itself out.

Go out and start cutting firewood.
It will loosen that chest up. Had my zipper mark put in 12 years ago and cut and split a pickup load yesterday. Stay active and it will work itself out.
I'm doing way better now ! This picture was shortly after my Cardiologist gave me the go to shoot !
Happy Days for me to get back on the trigger !

Rum Man

I bought one of these and used on 2 PD hunts, still use it for occasional range shooting etc. I ended up glueing a 1/8" thick rubber to the top as it was pretty slick otherwise.

These look like they would work also.
Thanks - Just ordered one of the Caldwell portable benches - got it even cheaper on the Amazon "used but like new" option!

Check out the ( Spec Rest Shooting Rest ) might have been formally known as Lone Star.
Very good system, but no seat.
Also the ( Ultimate Tripod ) made by Mcfadden machine co.
Blairsville Pa.
I have one of those, and a good friend has a Lone Star, both are very good, but the Ultimate Tripod is much more reasonable.
We use them for long range PA deer hunting.
Not intended to be carried around all day however.
We also use portable benches made mostly from aluminum with adjustable legs and a 1 layer plywood top.
Key for any type rest, be it a bench or a tripod, especially with heavy recoiling guns, is controlling the recoil while keeping the gun on target.
And thats especially important while hunting, due to the target running after a shot.
We use a return to battery setup, the gun rides on bearings or some type of plastic that allows for the gun to slide back and return, without causing any movement of the tripod.
I think they are no longer made and out of business. Same as the RCBS RASS SYSTEM they quit making them 20 years ago as I called RCBS to see about replacement parts! I would like to get a hold new or used Spec Rest however! Anyone got one for Sale?

I think they are no longer made and out of business. Same as the RCBS RASS SYSTEM they quit making them 20 years ago as I called RCBS to see about replacement parts! I would like to get a hold new or used Spec Rest however! Anyone got one for Sale?
I just took a look at the Spec Rest and it doesn't compare to the RASS System. We have a RASS and it is the NUTS for setting up for PD, Chucks. The only CON the I would say is that is heavy to carry around. I put ours in my duffle bag from when I was in the Marines to carry from set to set.
On of the most notable times was hunting in NE PA for Chucks. I set up in the middle of a huge field with 500+ yards in each direction. I sat there for more than half a day and shot 20 chucks. I had the optional umbrella that is a good sun shade. You can sit in it and rotate 360 and adjust your rifle vertically with the rest& damper. Taken it PD hunting to SD and it is the most comfortable/stable station to shoot off of.

Take a look at post #8 for a video.
Also if you look at actually owners reviews from Retailers. (Midway)
Tood bad it was discontinued, most likely due to price, but there are still some around. The accessories are good with an extra table for ammo, drink holders, and the umbrella.
I'll try to set our RASS up tomorrow for pics.

Last edited:
These are not the SPEC REST I was thinking if you posted the three links. The one I'm looking for has the Arm like the RCBS R,A,S,S system but the arm is mounted on a trri pod. See pictures below.

Attachments

• spec rest.jpg
    spec rest.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Spec rest close up.jpg
    Spec rest close up.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 34