Portable shooting bench recommendations

This works well when adjusted to sitting height. I like it more than a single point tripod because rifle is supported at 2 points & balance is not important. Get this thing about 36 inches above ground with tripod legs spread wide apart & it works real good. Total weight is less than 20 pounds. Bottom part is Martha Stewart 10-inch Teflon fry pan screwed onto 3/4, 5 plywood bottom to plywood, & 3/8 bolt with big thumb screw tightened up with channel locks, so Teflon contacts smooth top of tripod - turning enabled, Elevation controlled by Lead Sled. Wobbles a little bit when at standing but when wide stance tripod leg at sitting works better than most single point tripods. Nice folding chair with back rest - low profile blends in good, better since everything painted nice olive green,

Works good without Lead Sled with front & rear rest. Effective with Ruger MKIV .22 LR pistol & scope & sandbag for 75-yard targets.

No plans to pack this thing on mountain adventures but will be part of this year's rodent shooting,

Top shape changed. Have been asked to provide more details and photos.

IMG_1183.JPG

Thanks everyone. I bought one from Cabelas, looks to be identical to the Herters.

I may build a couple as well. Tripod configuration possibly with Sched 80 pipe legs with an over-sleeve tight fitting pipe which will be attached to the 3/4" plywood top. They will be heavier and less portable than the Herters style but may well be stronger/more solid. Something to play with.
Love to see some pictures of it when you're done.

I agree
When going to an area where I think I will get a lot of shooting and don't need to move too often I will use the RASS System and have extras like an umbrella and side table.

When moving around Chuck or PD Hunting I use the chair in the pictures. It's about 40 years old and was made by a guy in PA. I rebuilt it and painted it. It is light and stable. Sit a little lower to the ground, but comfortable.

When going to an area where I think I will get a lot of shooting and don't need to move too often I will use the RASS System and have extras like an umbrella and side table.

When moving around Chuck or PD Hunting I use the chair in the pictures. It's about 40 years old and was made by a guy in PA. I rebuilt it and painted it. It is light and stable. Sit a little lower to the ground, but comfortable.

I have two of the RCBS R,A,S,S. shooting system. They are by far the very best shooting system ever made. I used it in Colorado a year ago with my .17 HMR. I swear, once you use it, you will not be 100% happy using something else. The seat and shooting rest will turn with you 360 degrees. Fully adjustable to any body size, large or small. The lever will let you adjust full 20 degrees up and down. Once you are close, there is a round knob on the front for MICRO adjustment to put your crosshairs on target. Absolutely NO MOVEMENT, when you are locked on, you are on. They are heavy (about 70 pounds) but ideal for shooting in one place for hours at a time. Out of a box of 50 rounds I might have miss PD's 4 times, and that was due to the windage. Just made a slight hold and smoked them. I've not been able to go this year due to my Brother in laws Medical condition. However.. If you have a place we can go, I'd be happy to meet up with you and share one of the two I have with you. Other than that, I also have the "DEAD SHOT FIELD POD" they have two versions. a short & a tall! I have the shorter one (I'd sale for $75 + Shipping) and is great for coyote shooting as well as PD's. All you need is a small seat. Very Lightweight and adjustable in all directions as well! Just youtube it!

Last edited:
1690942586724.jpeg

1690942614048.jpeg

Huntsman22, that's a beautiful bench....

I've made two pie piece shaped benches for pdog shooting. The slightly wider one is the latest last year. These are my latest bench designs. Probably are now into about 7 generation of benches. These pie piece benches are great. Very easy to get up/down and move around. Big advantage is you have a very broad front allowing a lot of gun movement without having to get up or move the bench in a big dog town. Because of the wide equally spaced legs, it is far more solid and stable than it looks.

would you be interested in building one ? if you are I could take some detailed pics . I built this one . the legs screw off . the seat is solid . I've used a plastic 3 step ladder for a stool ,much lighter , it worked well , and does fold .
I have one just like that but bought it off the local classifieds for $25. Great shooting bench. I just use a folding chair.