Point systems

Yes...in oregon you have to buy a license before applying each year...
But if you buy that license and choose to purchase otc tags there is some **** good hunting for basically any critter you want to chase....bear, deer(blacktail and Muley), elk(Roosevelt and rocky), cougar.....you just have to hunt general tag area with whichever weapons choice you make.....
There are some good units to apply for......i very seldom put in for tags...chased elk on coast or cascades with bow and rifle......chose to chase blackmail deer late season bowhunting..in my aspect it was the best hunt offered and seasons vary to different units..a person can hunt a long time for late season rutting blacktail......snow made it even more fun....

In AZ you have to buy a hunting license then apply for the big game draw hunts. The hunting license is non refundable $175 non resident, but the price for each species is refundable if you don't draw. You can use the same hunting license for 2 draws if you time it right.Your points apply to your 1 and 2 choices, unlike Colorado where your points only apply to your first choice. You get a point for every year you don't draw, and you can get an extra loyalty point if you apply 5 years in row I believe. The license are allotted on a weighted entry so each year your odds of drawing increase. Then there is a certain % of licenses (10 percent I think)that are held for max point holders in the unit. But a first year applier has a chance to draw but a 10 yr has a 10X better chance. I don't know if you can just buy a point.

Colorado is a true point system where you don't even get a in the draw unless you have enough points to draw the hunt. So high demand hunts you will wait 15+ years to get enough points to draw and by the time you get there the point creep Will have increased so it might take 20 points before you have a chance. I hate points systems.

In each state only a % of licenses go to non residence, I think 10% in AZ and not sure in CO

Last edited:
Hey guys,

So ive looked on their websites, searched through this forum (maybe i missed it)....

Help me understand the point systems in Oregon, Utah, Montana, Colorado, and Arizona.

I'm in Idaho. I understand the Wyoming point system. But I'm looking at buying preferemce points and just preference for the next so often in order to get into some great tags.

Honestly, this isnt just for Elk, I just didnt know where else to post it.

Help me understand. Ive tried looking at Utah and Oregon's sites and still dont understand.

Mainly asking, can I just make a profile without buying a license and just buy preference points as of right now.

Thank you and I apologize for my ignorance.

I appreciate it. ThanksView attachment 109400
The best the best way I have found for me is to use a consultant. It does add some cost to the tags but it has also saved me money in two ways...

1) not applying for game in states where it doesn't make sense for me. I am 47 and don't have many points in plenty of states. Depending on point creep, animal desired, trophy potential, and many other things, I am behind the 8 ball and won't ever be able to build enough points to get a good tag (never may be a bit harsh, but it may take 20 years to get current max points and there may be point creep on top of that).

2) finding an outfitter once you are ready for a hunt. The good consultants work with tons of outfitters and can ensure you sign up with a good one. It is tough to find a high quality outfitter when most outfitters have killed good animals. Do they consistently take the kind of game they advertise? Do they run a quality operation with a reasonable number of hunters so they can manage the herd well and give you a good experience in camp, or do they just want to get max hunters in camp to boost revenue? If you live in the state you are applying you may know good outfitters or be able to find them by word of mouth. Or you probably have time to scout for a DIY hunt. Being in Tennessee those aren't really options for me.

The best one I have found is Jordan Christmas at The Draw. I am applying in two states....one will hit on deer every few years and hit on elk every 8 or so, and the other will be 10-12 for each but big animals. And I already know which outfitter I will use in the state that will hit first and their cost is reasonable for the size game they typically hunt.
https://www.wearethedraw.com

In AZ you have to buy a hunting license then apply for the big game draw hunts. The hunting license is non refundable $175 non resident, but the price for each species is refundable if you don't draw. You can use the same hunting license for 2 draws if you time it right.Your points apply to your 1 and 2 choices, unlike Colorado where your points only apply to your first choice. You get a point for every year you don't draw, and you can get an extra loyalty point if you apply 5 years in row I believe. The license are allotted on a weighted entry so each year your odds of drawing increase. Then there is a certain % of licenses (10 percent I think)that are held for max point holders in the unit. But a first year applier has a chance to draw but a 10 yr has a 10X better chance. I don't know if you can just buy a point.

Colorado is a true point system where you don't even get a in the draw unless you have enough points to draw the hunt. So high demand hunts you will wait 15+ years to get enough points to draw and by the time you get there the point creep Will have increased so it might take 20 points before you have a chance. I hate points systems.

In each state only a % of licenses go to non residence, I think 10% in AZ and not sure in CO

Yes you can buy a bonus point in Az, but purchasing a license is required. If not drawn, the tag fee is refunded minus the price of the bonus point, $18 I think. If you are drawn for a species, your bonus points are gone for that species. A permanent bonus point can be had with completion of the hunter's ed course.

Last edited:
I'm in Nevada & our system sucks as bad as everywhere else. AT 73 I may not ever get a bull tag!! But yet others get 2 or 3 different tags every year!! Why is that?? Why not give every hunter a chance to at least hunt something?? I got zippo tags this year but went on the hunts to assist my buddies. 3 muleys & 1 muzzy bull.

BW

The best the best way I have found for me is to use a consultant. It does add some cost to the tags but it has also saved me money in two ways...

1) not applying for game in states where it doesn't make sense for me. I am 47 and don't have many points in plenty of states. Depending on point creep, animal desired, trophy potential, and many other things, I am behind the 8 ball and won't ever be able to build enough points to get a good tag (never may be a bit harsh, but it may take 20 years to get current max points and there may be point creep on top of that).

2) finding an outfitter once you are ready for a hunt. The good consultants work with tons of outfitters and can ensure you sign up with a good one. It is tough to find a high quality outfitter when most outfitters have killed good animals. Do they consistently take the kind of game they advertise? Do they run a quality operation with a reasonable number of hunters so they can manage the herd well and give you a good experience in camp, or do they just want to get max hunters in camp to boost revenue? If you live in the state you are applying you may know good outfitters or be able to find them by word of mouth. Or you probably have time to scout for a DIY hunt. Being in Tennessee those aren't really options for me.

The best one I have found is Jordan Christmas at The Draw. I am applying in two states....one will hit on deer every few years and hit on elk every 8 or so, and the other will be 10-12 for each but big animals. And I already know which outfitter I will use in the state that will hit first and their cost is reasonable for the size game they typically hunt.
Thank you. I might give him a call.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.