Colo Point Banking

I see this as a positive -- I have around 6 points now. Why on earth would I blow them on a hunt that only requires half that? It makes non sense. If incentivizes inflating the number of people saving up for high-point hunts, and therefore those hunts continue to require more points.

This year, CO upped the cost significantly for a non-resident to apply for just a point. So by the time you build up enough points for a mid-range hunt you already have quite a bit of cash invested. Who would ever then apply for a hunt requiring less then they have? And it makes it harder to plan because you're always applying in an area you're on the bubble, rather than saying "this should take 6 and I have 8, so I'm a lock and can plan and keep my other 2".

Yes, in the short term there will be some high-point people burning them on back-to-back mid-range hunts. But if the quoted info earlier is accurate, 65-70% of people only have a couple points so there are not a ton of these high-point people around.

I think the negatives are being hyped, IMHO.

States make a lot of money off their non-resident tags. I've hunted Montana 4 years and was building points there. But there, you can't just apply for a point and if you don't put in for a number of years they zero out your points. I swore it was 3 years, but I didn't apply 2 years and they zeroed my points. So I'm now looking to give my money to someone other than Montana because they make it a PIA to plan long-term. This current step in CO makes long-term planning easier. I think that's a good thing.

I may not be getting a total grasp on everything about this but what I do know is that there are a lot of PPs in the system that are not getting used. I personally have 6 elk and 8 deer. If some of those above me start getting used - wherever / however- then I think that I will start getting closer to the top.:rolleyes:

I like this Idea, why because I am one of the guys with 20 points and I have been the victim of point creep for 12 years!! I also think this will stabilize the point system in Colorado. The I think in the long run this is a good thing for Colorado, I might start putting in for deer in Colorado again if they go to this system.

I like this Idea, why because I am one of the guys with 20 points and I have been the victim of point creep for 12 years!! I also think this will stabilize the point system in Colorado. The I think in the long run this is a good thing for Colorado, I might start putting in for deer in Colorado again if they go to this system.

I agree. They could at least try it for a 5-year period. See how it goes. To me it seems like it would be an overall more fair way to run things.

I'm not sure if you are aware but the point banking issue has returned in Colorado. I was unaware of this until late in the 5 year plan process. If you enjoy hunting Colo on a regular basis you may want to get involved! This could dramatically make it tougher to draw tags in Colo in the coming years....especially tags that take only a few pref pts to draw. If you think point creep is bad now wait until this is re-introduced!

I found out that the CBA is supporting this issue without any input or explanation to it's members. If you have a chance to contact the CBA and the CPW in regard to this issue please do so! There are some interesting posts on the Monstermuley website in the Colo forum. The number of years it takes to draw tags in Colo may have just taken a giant leap in the wrong direction...without you even knowing about it!

If I understand you correct I want to give you my deal. I have 5 and 5 points for deer/ elk. I have a buddy wanting me to go next year elk hunting where elk id otc but deer will take 1 or 2 points. I don't want to blow my deer points in an area not sure about deer. So I could apply for say 61 first choice knowing it wont happen than use the other unit as second choice and only loose 1 point? I have a buddy who has 16 points wanting unit 2 and I told him you better be thinking of going elsewhere. I hunted 62 a few years ago wanting to hunt 61 knowing its not going to happen. I actually thought if I wanted to do it bad enough since I only have 5 points and going to be 55 in 2 months is to bite the bullet and buy a voucher. Its a boat load of money but doubt if I would live long enough to ever drawl.

If I understand you correct I want to give you my deal. I have 5 and 5 points for deer/ elk. I have a buddy wanting me to go next year elk hunting where elk id otc but deer will take 1 or 2 points. I don't want to blow my deer points in an area not sure about deer. So I could apply for say 61 first choice knowing it wont happen than use the other unit as second choice and only loose 1 point? I have a buddy who has 16 points wanting unit 2 and I told him you better be thinking of going elsewhere. I hunted 62 a few years ago wanting to hunt 61 knowing its not going to happen. I actually thought if I wanted to do it bad enough since I only have 5 points and going to be 55 in 2 months is to bite the bullet and buy a voucher. Its a boat load of money but doubt if I would live long enough to ever drawl.

I am not sure if you were asking about deer or elk, so I'll answer both for you:

If it is OTC for elk, apply for a preference point as your first choice and a refund for second. Then you can just buy an OTC tag when they come out.

For deer, if it requires 1 or 2 points to draw the tag, you will only get the tag if you apply for it with your first choice. If you do that, you will burn all 5 of your points. You will not get it as a second choice option because second choice tags are only given out after everyone who applied for the tag with a first choice are given a tag.

Hope that makes sense. They were looking into doing the point banking system, but they decided not to do it, so this is the way it will be for the foreseeable future.

I was hoping I would be able to burn a point at a time. I have 6-7 points in CO and keep seeing big bucks in CO when I go. Oh well.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.