Pocket Knives

I would like to have a moment of silence for all the misguided people who think the Benchmade Bugout is a good knife lol.

If I am going to be doing a lot of utilitarian cutting tasks the Spyderco Pacific Salt 2 with the fully serrated blade is nice because it is light, cheap, and cuts through anything without having to be maintained. For a bit more class and the unlikely event I would have to show someone the pointy end I carry a ZT 0452CF. I also have a Benchmade Adamas that mostly stays on my pistol belt.
Care to explain your comments about the Bugout? I'm not saying it's the best, but I like mine. My wife gave to me as a gift with custom blue G10 scales and my daughter gave me some black G10 scales as well. I can't stand a serrated blade because I enjoy sharpening my knives. I own a LOT of knives, and the only ones that are serrated are the steak knives.

You should be SHARING some of those Spyderco's with, your Brothers,.. on Here for, God's sakes,.. LOL !
That's, a Few too many for One guy to, own !
Me got's, the Third one, in from, the Left, bottom Row ( the Camo one ) it's, Razor freakin', sharp,.. BUT,..
I could always, use another one,.. "Just, in Case" and,..
the Purple one ( Next to It ) ,.. look's, kinda Nice to, Me
I'd even Pay, the Shipping charge's

Last edited:
I did handle and hilt on this one.Same guy blade work. I traded him for finish carpentry on his home
IMG_0487.JPG

Care to explain your comments about the Bugout? I'm not saying it's the best, but I like mine. My wife gave to me as a gift with custom blue G10 scales and my daughter gave me some black G10 scales as well. I can't stand a serrated blade because I enjoy sharpening my knives. I own a LOT of knives, and the only ones that are serrated are the steak knives.

I received a Bugout as a gift from work and mine wasn't sharp, the action did not compare to the other Benchmades I have owned, and there was lateral flex in the blade and handle just due to the thin materials. In my opinion they simply do not live up to the hype they get, especially for the asking price which naturally keeps going up with inflation. I put mine away and revisited/carried it some months later with fresh eyes to see if perhaps I had not given it a fair shake and was still underwhelmed. Since I was not financial vested in it, I ended up just testing to see how strong it was and the handle broke right at the Axis lock with not a lot of lateral pressured. I know that is an unnatural direction for stress on a knife, but I found the Bugout with its liners to be very weak even when compared to the FRN handled Spyderco's. I just don't see what role it is supposed to be good at, short of a letter opener.

I've carried a pocket knife since I was a kid. Always was partial to a three blade stockman. Here's a Case and an Uncle Henry I finally retired. I lost the Uncle Henry out of a tree stand and ended up finding it over a year later which is why one side is weathered. Dress jeans and boots require carrying a Remington bullet knife.

IMG_8983.jpegIMG_8984.jpegIMG_8985.jpegIMG_8986.jpeg

Dad bought me a schrade 3 blade in 1980. Carried that thing for 25 years, finally lost it. Went through a bunch of other quality american made stuff after that, lost all of them too.

Most recent decent quality knives lost were a benchmade something something and a couple of kershaw leeks.

Sometime down the road here on this ranch my grandkids (great grandkids?) are gonna find them some dandy old american made treasures.

Now I just carry cheaper stuff.

Ya git those old hands that use a pocket knife for every cutting chore , on the place .Anything from the twine on a bale, pickN a horse's hoof, to cutting pigs. Then, they got a nice Honeycrisp apple at lunch and offer ya a wedge of it, off the same blade, dang it!
As long as you spit on the blade and wipe it on your jeans before cutting the apple, it's OK.

I received a Bugout as a gift from work and mine wasn't sharp, the action did not compare to the other Benchmades I have owned, and there was lateral flex in the blade and handle just due to the thin materials. In my opinion they simply do not live up to the hype they get, especially for the asking price which naturally keeps going up with inflation. I put mine away and revisited/carried it some months later with fresh eyes to see if perhaps I had not given it a fair shake and was still underwhelmed. Since I was not financial vested in it, I ended up just testing to see how strong it was and the handle broke right at the Axis lock with not a lot of lateral pressured. I know that is an unnatural direction for stress on a knife, but I found the Bugout with its liners to be very weak even when compared to the FRN handled Spyderco's. I just don't see what role it is supposed to be good at, short of a letter opener.
Thanks for your reply. I can't say that I have noticed any of the deficiencies in my Bugout that you had with yours. Of course, mine having the custom scales would probably eliminate the flex in the handle. I've got my action tightened up a bit as I don't like a blade that just flicks open, I like to control the whole movement, but I know I'm in the minority on that. My knife is razor sharp and I keep it that way, it takes a little more effort to get razor sharp compared to say a D2 blade, but it also stays sharp longer.

Certainly not the best knife out there, but not the worse by any means. Which is why I have a bunch of knives.