Play With Your Food: Clean Brass With Rice

orkan

Play With Your Food: Clean Brass With Rice

There are many ways to clean brass.
Cleaning your brass is a necessity. Foreign material in or on our cases can cause all kinds of problems. Damage to expensive reloading dies, damage to rifles, and various other issues can arise if proper care is not taken. Historically, shooters tumbled their brass in walnut or corn cob media using vibrator tumblers. This method works fairly well and has long since been the "standard" method. In recent years, a couple new technologies were explored. Ultrasonic cleaning was first, and used the power of ultrasonic transducers to "explode" the surface of the brass clean. Next came using a rotary tumbler, water, dish soap, and stainless steel pins to clean the brass. I have used each of the aforementioned methods, and in each instance I was left with the feeling that there is much room for improvement. A couple weeks ago while researching a completely unrelated topic, I was sent down a rabbit hole on the internet. You know how that is. Well I landed on an old forum post in some obscure corner of the internet, which outlined the use of rice and a vibratory tumbler to clean brass. That particular user hailed it as the best possible solution to the problem. The thought had never occurred to me before. I scooped up a handful of rice we had laying around and just by playing with it for a bit, was convinced that it may have merit. I had to try it. This article is the culmination of that testing.

This is one of the most useful posts I have read in a long time. THANK YOU.
I'm going to try this as I have encountered every side effect of every method you mentioned above. This is just another of them things where I scratch my head and say - why the hell didn't I think of that.

I wouldn't leave your brass sitting in the rice for a length of time afterward, as it will likely spot a bit if the rice takes humidity from the air. I have had a bit of this trouble with walnut; I suspect rice would be worse.

I am also wondering about the addition of a bit of rouge, like used with walnut media, for really dirty brass or quicker cleaning. Have you tried that?

Given the fact that my walnut is about fried out I'll likely be trying this soon...

The brass in the Link seems to have very clean primer pockets. Does anyone recall him saying if he had cleaned them before tumbling or did the rice take care of that??
I know that corn cob doesn't do a good job of that.

The brass in the Link seems to have very clean primer pockets. Does anyone recall him saying if he had cleaned them before tumbling or did the rice take care of that??
I know that corn cob doesn't do a good job of that.

I didn't touch the primer pockets. The rice was left to do it's thing.

Leave it to orkan to think outside the rice box.

As an aside, I've tried this and actually had really good results after having cooked the rice and then run it through re-dehydration. The kernels grow enough to prevent getting stuck in the flash holes entirely even with long grain. I also had decent results with shorter fatter rice strains like Sushi rice and sweet glutinous rice but there's a bit of dust generated from the latter. Sushi rice was really good but kinda expensive. If you cook your rice spread it out on a bedsheet to dry in the sun, as close to a single layer as possible for fastest drying and follow up with a 200deg oven after they're brittle again to wring the last of the water out of them.

I've been reloading for 50 years...hunting, target and bench rest long/short range, how many cases have I cleaned...NONE...it is not a necessity by any stretch of anyone's time imagination...

I've been reloading for 50 years...hunting, target and bench rest long/short range, how many cases have I cleaned...NONE...it is not a necessity by any stretch of anyone's time imagination...

Couple quick questions if I may:

1) How many rounds have you fired this month?

2) How do you get case lube off your brass?

3) If you don't use case lube, how do you keep your brass from ever growing at the shoulder to the point where it can no longer be chambered?

4) If it doesn't eventually do that, how are you keeping it from doing that?

5) Can you show some pictures of trophy's you've won, records you hold, or some groups you've shot?

Anyone that's shot as long as you have... I'd like to know more about you. :)

It's not about lube !!! It's about using rice as a tumbling medium to clean casing !!!

1. about1500

2. I rub it off when I full length size, the old fashion way..don't be lazy

3. I neck size only for most, about half a neck, lightly, very lightly to the shoulder and from there
to the neck with powdered graphite.

4. Shoot quality reammed and polished chambers, and good Lapua brass, don't shoot max loads!

5. I've shot groups smaller than the pupil in your eye, which you should open yours and READ what the statement was about...cleaning not lubing before sizing !!!!!!!!!!!!

What's the old statement, engage the clutch before............

1) Good for you.
2) Wait, I thought you said you didn't clean a case in 50 years? Seems you are cleaning them after all. What do you use to rub it off?
3) That doesn't give much forgiveness in non-optimal field conditions.
4) Me too. Good advice.
5) Good for you, again. Me too. The main reason I tumble is to clean lube off after resizing.

I don't know... what is the old statement? All the machinery I run these days has automatic transmissions. There was this one time where I was taught how to shift without using the clutch however. Some transmissions are actually built that way. :)

Like the OP. I got and/or use everything.

Gonna give this one a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.