platform

shortshooter

Hello, all. I'm new, but have been reading posts on this site for a month or so. Looking to get into longer range shooting-hunting, and I have some questions. Please bear with me as I am learning, and probably don't know much.

First, I'm a lefty, and I have a lefty remington 40x single shot in 280 rem., and a Sako 995 in 30-378. I feel the Sako would be better platform for a longer range tool. Problem is that is has this funky lug built into the stock and not a traditional barreled recoil lug. Also the reciever needs a inclinated or tapered base; where does one find one of these.

The Sako is a 30-378, and I would like opinions if I should keep it as such or change calibres and chamber.

My intentions are to shoot for a couple of years at ranges of 1000- 1500 yds. and then move on to hunting our local elk and deer at 600+ yds.

I've done plenty out to 600 yds with the 308 pss remington and my 40x. I have a Zeiss 85 spotter and leica 1200 rangefinder. Also I have two swiss optical range finders i've yet to figure out how to operate.

So what should I do with the Sako 995 reciever? Should I use it for a build or not? Who's a sako builder? I've heard of Ray Romain before. I'm in the Coeur d' Alene Idaho area. Any builders in this area of North Idaho?

Please help. thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
Also I have two swiss optical range finders i've yet to figure out how to operate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Drop me a PM and I'll tell you how to operate them.

They are the BEST for long range ranging, and will beat any laser except a military one,

welcome aboard, you're at the right place. look around this site and find a fellow named Shawn Carlock. he's up in your neck of the woods and is an excellent gunsmith. drop him an e-mail with your gun questions. just found his address [email protected]

I have a 338 lap mag built on a sako 995 and think it makes a great action to build a long range rig on. Sam at ARTactical has pictures of one that he built that belongs to Wambo that is winning matches out west. I have a friend in Tenn. that has several on 995 actions. With out going to a custom action you cant do any better. Ebb

What's the difference between the 995 and the AIII? Can I rebarrel the AIII to Lapua Magnum?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.