Would/is this a suitable LR Platform

Drew_CarreyAB

Hey, my first post. I was wondering a few things and I thought I'd ask them here. I already have a 26"Heavy Barreled .300WM but I was wondering what your guys/gals take is on the fact that it's in a T/C Encore frame, kinda an odd question but would I be better off with a Remington action or would the T/C be adequate for LR hunting/shooting? So far in trying to read all the information on the board my eyes have crossed and questions have been asked and answered by reading more posts, I.E. Ladder and OCW discussions. I hope to learn alot from the members here and take the knowledge into the feild this upcoming season....LR is not new to me as I was in the DCRA and PQRA here in Canada in 1989. The only thing was we were shooting Sportco 44-D's in .308WCF and doing quite well out to 1000Yds with open sights, and I would like to find a LR club up here in the boonies. Thanks in advance for your replies. P.S. Would Hornady 190gr BTHP's be a good LR bullet(Might open a can of worms, but)?? So far at the range I have access to goes to 300yds and a big rock @497yds LOL I have yet to work up an adequate load (been tinkering with the 165gr Speer Hot-Cores and SST's with using RL-22 for powder and CCI Mag primers(of which I've had 5 misfires already) and the best I've done so far is 3.510"COL with 75gr RL-22 gives me a 2-3shot group that touches and a 4-5 shot group that goes 3"-4"(3 shots touch and then all hell breaks loose) But if I do the "round robin" shooting technique combined with the OCW/Ladder system I may make out OK..............OK, I'm done with the post. Whew, What a windbag am I...LOL Glad to be aboard.

Welcome aboard.

I think you'll find that most of the shooters around here prefer bolt actions but if you can get the Encore down to 3/4 to 1/2 moa it will work just fine.

What you shoot is not as important as how well it shoots many different types will work.I agree with you Bill... Maybe he should try some fed215s and re25 or H1000 or IMR7828?

The encore is a great frame to build on for a long range gun if you wanting to use a single shot or a light weight gun, their has to be a little work do to it to make it shoot to its fullest but if the barrel is good then generaly it can be made to shoot down into the 1/2 range
I would personaly don't think that the Encore should be chambered for any of the short mags or Ultra mags , the barrel is only 1" in diameter and their is no other metal around it , if you go boring a .500"+ hole in it that leave less than 1/4" walls to hold the pressure. Not saying that your gun isin't safe but I would stay away from even luke warm loads , I have seen a 300Wby that was shot with hot loads and it eventualy bulged the barrel in the chamber to the point that it woulden't close anymore.
but if you have a full bull barrel barrel made for say 30" long it and have it chambered for say a 300 mag you could easly get good velocities with low pressure and still be in the lighter weight class bolt guns
Shoot me an E-mail if you want to talk about some of the accuracy work for the Encore

I have seen some of the encores shoot awfully nice before. I have seen a 22-250 encore consistantly hit a 10" by 12" gong at 515yds, 10-10 shots in a row.

i think a good bolt action will probably out shot it but you still can get some impressive results with the gun

good luck
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.