plastic flow of primer material

Catbrain

Helping someone zero their savage 110 in 7mm mag.
He was using some kind of federal. ( I will see the box again
tomorrow) I shot 7 rounds. He didn't have any empty brass so I kept the brass to reload for him. Upon examination of the brass - the primers were fairly well flattened back to the edge of the firing pin and at the outer edges. This gave the impression of a max load. One of the primers showed a further artifact. the brass in the primer had showed plastic flow--- and the material at the outer edge of the primer has flowed out formed a little flap of "foil". It was standing outward like a burr when I first noticed it. I expect it was pushing out between the case head and the bolt face. The perimeter of the primer beside this extrusion showed a lumpy raised area like it just starting to flow.

This is factory ammunition. Now I am asking --- why ?

Two things come to mind. First is---- maybe the ogive is in the lands
when the round is chambered. If it is all ready a max load of powder---
that could give the pressure a kick upwards--- right ? So I will try an unfired round-- measure OAL before and after chambering-- see if it sets back. and I will also ink the ogive and see if I can see rifling marks in the ink. Those two should tell me if the round it loaded too long.

the other issue i am wondering is if the barrel could have lead build up from the previous owner. I took a bright flashlight and shined it in at near right angle to the muzzle and I could see some white looking
residue in the grooves. It didn't look like copper-- as much as it did lead according to the color. I don't understand who would or could shoot lead bullets out of a 7 mm. anyway I cleaned the whole gun and scrubbed the bore for about 20 min with Iosso abrasive bore cleaner. Then did hoppies. It looked somewhat better after. But its very hard to get the light angle right to see in there very far. maybe I need to get it bore scoped. (mine is too big to fit inside) Didn't have any sweets copper cleaner.
I am thinking if the bore is slightly fowled somehow-- that would drive up pressures. I am considering putting a stopper in the muzzle and filling it up with something like CLR to attack the fowling. I have never had to get that "tough" with a bore before---- if I use that how long is a safe time to let it sit ?

This gun was bought used-- so there is that chance it had a hidden problem and that was kept hidden and just sold to the next guy.

My intention was to load him some reduced (like starting loads) using 139 grains at about 2600 to make it easier on his shoulder. But if these things are giving high pressure-- the bad recoil may be another sign of
a problem.

Opinions ?

I have stopped using Federal brass at all for my reloading. The older stuff was fine, but this new stuff is simply too soft in the primer pocket. I fired some factory Federal 300WM and then went to prime the empty cases. The primers seated way too easy; the primers felt loose in the pockets. I discarded the whole batch. I'm pretty sure I would have had primer "jumps" when firing after reloading. I had a similar problem with .308 about a year ago. Try some different brand factory ammo / brass. Just my two cents worth.

Phil -----

"Anybrass extrusion can on the case head?"

what does that mean Phil ????

No sign of extrusion on the case proper. Primer not pushed back. Just extruded on rear primer surface. The brass is in the tumbler now -- have not tried priming yet.

I wonder-- are wolf primers made with steel in stead of brass ?

At 61,000 PSI things flow. I would not worry about factory ammo, as long as no gas leaks.
Look for other pressure signs, hard bolt lift?

Check case head for ejector marks. Like photo.
index.php

Newer Fired factory cartridges @ 65,000 PSI will show Pressure Signs

I think 2 factors could be at play in the OP's case.

- Federal primers are softer than virtually all the rest. There is a metric called 'brisance' for this.

- In order to feed and function in every chamber out there, factory ammo is sized to minimum spec. In many instances this can result in excessive headspace - .010" is not uncommon.

When the cartridge fits loose in the chamber, it *can* accelerate back toward the bolt upon ignition and the added inertia *does* effect deformation.

I think 2 factors could be at play in the OP's case.

- Federal primers are softer than virtually all the rest. There is a metric called 'brisance' for this.

- In order to feed and function in every chamber out there, factory ammo is sized to minimum spec. In many instances this can result in excessive headspace - .010" is not uncommon.

When the cartridge fits loose in the chamber, it *can* accelerate back toward the bolt upon ignition and the added inertia *does* effect deformation.
Brisance is not how you describe the softness of the primer cup. Brisance is the "type" of explosion, or characteristic of the explosive properties. In that way, I can confirm that federal primers are "hotter" than most all of the rest. Brisance, being most aptly used to describe how "hot" a primer is.

However, this has nothing to do with the softness or mailability of the cups. Brisance has nothing to do with that, with the exception of what the result of the brisance has on the material itself. Standard physics applies, that a uniform shockwave generated across a shorter time period will obviously deform it's container to a greater degree than a equal shockwave generated over a longer time. Massive over-simplification there... but again to reiterate that brisance has nothing to do with the mailability of the cups themselves.

Regarding pressure signs themselves, my article from many years ago still holds relevance:

Most shooters will find the information therein to be of interest.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

The Federal SDS has nitroglycerin listed. Nitro may make them more sensitive. Other brands, no Nitro..

https://discover.dtic.mil/On firing, Primers make around 23,000 PSI in the pocket. No powder or bullet needed.
Yes, most instances of guys blowing up trays of primers have been with federals. (if memory serves)

They are sensitive little guys.

Sure is nice to have all that fire when you need to ignite a difficult powder in large quantities. H50BMG and Retumbo in cheytac cases will hang-fire a CCI-250... but Fed215 and 215M will pop reliably every time.

These days I recommend Fed215M for everything above 75gr of powder, and/or anything slower than H1000. Otherwise I run a steady diet of CCI-200 for up to 45gr capacity and 250 in everything else. Pretty much standardized exclusively on CCI-450's for everything smaller, regardless if I need magnum or not.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I looked up recalls last night--- there were some for federal 7mm mag-- but not the flavor this was. But here is what I found---
We shot about 7 from the box and had 8 more unfired.
I decapped and tumbled the fired ones. I pulled the bullets and powder from the unfired ones-- and then snapped the primers in the gun. Decapped and neck sized those too.
So I had 14 empties- half fired and other half not. When I went to prime them---- all but one of the cases the primers all most fell into the holes. All most NO interference. Only 1 felt normal. All the primers of the half we shot looked very flat-- showing max pressure----- box said 150 grain
power shock going at 3110. According to my lee manual that just under max-- but only a little. But the fact that the unfired brass had loose primer pickets --- tells me the brass was functionally ---- bad----- the one primer was a hairs breath away from a rupture. Also checked to see the ogive wasn't in the rifling---- that showed ok.

I think Federal's ammo here is just total crap. Too soft brass and too soft primer for that demanding application.

So what brand of brass and primers has a reputation as being more rigid to resist better to this kind of problem.
This brass looks so bad that I don't even want to do a starting load in it.

Just for my FYI--- what bad jou-jou happens when the primers are that loose in the pockets ??? Do you get a gas leak around them ? Do they try to back out ?

I sure hope all fed. brass isn't this poor !!!!!! If it is- I will never use it again !

Tim