brass flow?

sdhunterman

Im loading a 6.5 x 284 Savage 111 lrh. A 215 primer Retumbo(58.5 grains max load from Berger) powder and lapua brass. Im getting a ring of shiny brass on the head stamp. Im not seeing a sticky bolt lift. What could be causing this?

How many loads on the brass? Maybe a loose primer pocket allowing gas to leak around the primer at firing. YMMV

Does the ring of shiny brass go the full circumference of case head? Or is it a small square spot on the base? Photos would help. Usually the cause is overpressure loads, but yours sounds OK. Headspace issue is possible.

What others have asked...
i.e. is it the ejector plunger hole leaving a mark on each piece of brass?

This is usually a sign of pressure.

-- richard

Its a shiny spot coming from the ejector opening. Its the first loading on this brass. Im not getting heavy bolt lift either. I will try to post pics.

Another thing I noticed was that it seems like the brass is being shaved a very small amount on the neck from the sizing die. It leaves a very small lip on the neck shoulder junction. Could this be causing it?

2012-04-16_19-18-42_784.jpg

2012-04-16_19-19-25_354.jpg

Last edited:
I cant really see in picture but sounds like pressure to me.With ejector mark and it looks like your primer is dimpled up a bit.

I agree.

You're hovering around your max load.

When summer arrives, you could be over max.

You might want to back off a hiar if you can maintain accuracy.

-- richard

I may have to continue to search for a load. This was the best load I had found thus far( only two depths). Ill try running it in 10 thou more and see where that gets me. I should be able to load this brass again?

I completely agree. That load is right on the hairy edge of max. Redue to the next lower velocity accuracy node. Your brass will last longer and so will your barrel. Velocity is nice but accuracy is king.

Its looks like an ejector mark and some primer flattening. If so
I would say drop 1-2 grains and consider that your max usable
load or brass life will be much shorter.

Yes you can load the brass again.

Hard to diagnose these problems without seeing the brass. The square mark on the head sounds a lot like overload. Reduce it 10% and try it. Does an empty leave same mark? A scratch on the neck could be the empty case is contacting the port. Try a weaker ejector spring.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.