Brass...crimped brass...

DryShave

I made an online deal with a shooter in another town for a brass exchange, which didn't go quite as I had hoped. When I examined the brass, it was all crimped. I full length sized 50 pieces and trimmed to length, and was left with roughly half a crimp. This is my maiden voyage into the land of reloading and I have the following questions.

Is this brass okay(safe) to use? Will this crimp noticeably affect consistency, round to round? Is there anything I can do to get rid of it?

The particulars: cartridge-30-06 Springfield, brass-Winchester, bullets-150gr interlocks and 150gr e-tips.

My goal is to become a proficient long range hunter.

Photo, unprepped on left, prepped on right:

CFED1F97-012B-45D1-9007-1CEF6D1B0BD2.jpg

i havnt encountered crimped brass in that manner personally but my advice to you would be is to load a dummy round or two and see how they feed in and out of the chamber Dummy Round being unprimed with bullet seated to preferred length. note any markings that dont come from the lands and grooves of the rifling. id say if the bullet seats properly and it cycles in out of your rifle with no excessive rubbing id say they are good to use. but maybe someone else here has experience with with crimped brass and give you more insight

I did build a dummy round and purposely left the bullet out long. It didn't chamber. I gradually seated it lower and lower into the case until it chambered. I then seated it roughly 20 thousandths more to arrive upon my initial seating depth. That much being said, ther is no difficulty in chambering a dummy round, I also didn't notice any markings other than from the lands initially.

one way to cut down the amount of bullet reseating you do is to smoke the bullet....just take a book of matches or box or a zippo lighter and just get a good coating of soot on the bullet and it will tell you were the bullet is in relation to the lands and grooves...it will just save you time and give you more fine of adjustment idea

What Junkie said is correct, nothing wrong with it and it will make zero difference to anything.

Cheers.
gun)

shoot the brass a few times... the factory crimp marks will disappear when you trim again. Might want to work with a slightly heavier bullet than a 30cal 150 for lr also.

Ok well that all sounds good, I will go ahead and load it up and not sweat it. Thanks for tip regarding the soot on the bullet and also the heavier weight bullet recommendation!

Ok well that all sounds good, I will go ahead and load it up and not sweat it. Thanks for tip regarding the soot on the bullet and also the heavier weight bullet recommendation!

I color my bullets with a dark blue or black Marks-a-lot. Chamber the round and then work the bolt but dont extract until you have finally made a mark on the bullet

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.