planning ahead

tatersalad

I have a Savage 111 in .30-06, 22" sporter barrel. I know that I want to upgrade, but still trying to decide on what to do. I know I want to put a heavier barrel on the rifle, so a caliber change won't make any $ difference. I'll also be changing the stock (to a Manners or McMillian), and getting higher mag glass. SWFA SS 6x42 mounted now.

I live in South Carolina, so the majority of my hunting will be southern sized deer. We do have a large cut over on our lease where long range shots would be required.

SO, I'm open to suggestions. I'd love a .338 of some flavor, but that would be waaay over kill for the deer here, and I don't want to spend all my money on ammo ;-)

I've been doing a lot of reading, and will be doing a bunch more, but thought I would at least start a conversation.

thanks, Pete

Hey Pete,
I hunted the "Low Country" for a few years when I was stationed in Charleston. I had pretty much no long range experience then, not much now for that matter. But I think one of the 7s ( take your pick from RUM on down) or maybe a .270WSM would be just the ticket. I hunted pine plantations and we had some long ranges there too! If you just want to go 5-600 yards a standard .25/06 or .270 would work fine as would your .30/06. I sure do miss that long deer season!

Bob

284 Winchester, if you want Lapua brass, neck up 6.5x284 Lapua brass to 7mm and your done. With the 168 grain Barnes LRX reach out to 900-1000 yards.

For a dear only gun I would go after 6.5mm The 6.5 lapua or 260 throated long for the 140s would be sweet in a long action. Low recoil and high BC with plenty of dear thumping capability. Go big or go really really efficiently. My .02

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.