Planning for a Future LR Rifle

Rookie25

I have been reading from this website for the last few months and have become more and more interested in having a LR gun made. My biggest problem right now is the financing to do so. From what I've been reading, it appears that most gunsmiths prefer building on Remington 700 actions as far as building up from a store built factory gun. So my question is, in planning for a future LR gun, would I be wise to look for a Remington 700 base model that in a few years could have so work done too? Or wait and try and get a custom action. Also is there a difference in actions between different grades of Rem. 700? One last question, how close in caliber does a existing rife have to be in order to build a LR gun out of it? (example do you have to use a .338 to build a .338AX or 338 Edge?)

Thanks for any advice in advance.

First off,Welcome to long range hunter.
I'll chime in here. The following information is simply my opinion.
If you have other guns to hunt with , wait until you can purchase the custom action you want. There are a couple that come to mind. stiller, lawton just to name a few. The other option of'course is to use an old Remington action.I would go this way if I could fine a cheap donor gun but at the prices that are normal for Remington's I would just buy one of the customs.( This of'course would depend on the price. I have stumbled across a yard sale/auction or two and picked them up for about 250.00-300.00 although it has been a few years sense I have found one.)
You have shown some interest in 338 type rounds so again I would say lawton, stiller something of this nature simply because they are stronger. The gunsmith bill should be cheaper due to less work required.
Now, if you use one to build another with there are only a couple requirements. What is the size of the base of the cartridge. IE, .473 this is a 30-06 family on a long action. the second, the length of the action short ie 308 long ie,30-06 I don't know off hand about the 338 stuff as I don't own one but a good reloading book like Sierra will have cartridge dimensions as well as many internet sources.

Either way do what you think is best with the knowledge you obtain, and let me tell you there is a lot of good knowledge on this site. just decipher the knowledge from opinion not a problem because most here try to just enter what they know. unless you ask about an opinion.

I look at a custom rifle , be it long range or not, as something you want and will be happy with. Something you will not have any doubt about and be proud to show to your buddies. You will spend a pretty decent amount of cash so make sure it is what you want and you don't settle for less because of impatience's. "the true reason for an unsuccessful hunter"!

I hope I have been helpful but if not just stick around and someone will be.

Rh

LR rifle

Because of the bolt face diameter, you should probably get a RUM action to build a 338 Edge or a 338AX. They have the same case head (.534), while the regular magnum case head is .532.

The .338 Lapua and the larger Allen magnums are based on the .416 Rigby case (head size .588).

I guess a gunsmith can open the bolt face on a standard magnum bolt to fit some of the larger cases.

Then there is the question of action length. Remington does not make a true magnum length action. They shoe-horn the long magnums into their standard "long" action. This seems to work ok; but, as I understand it, for 100% reliable feeding in a magazine rifle, and comfortable bullet seating, you should really use a "true" magnum action for these long magnum cartridges. This means a CZ, Sako, or usually, a custom action.

Last edited:
If you are interested in one of Kirby's cartridges you can just email him. He is very responsive to email. It does not obligate you to spend any money.

Jerry Teo wrote a very fine article on inexpensive good shooting long range rifles. It is fine advice and I would have done that if I could have found a Savage.

I have pretty much one of each. A $1400 match action for an elk rifle, a $150 action accurized for an antelope rifle and a who knows what it cost action for an F-class/hog/auodad rifle and a bonestock Rem 700 action for small stuff. I truly enjoy each one of them and I do not shoot any better or any worse with any of them. I have $1500 dollar scopes and $200 scopes and I can tell the difference in them but I don't shoot any better.

I use precision handcrafted low runout ammo and just slopped together ammo and I don't shoot any better no matter which I use.

I have expensive stocks and factory stocks and some are bedded by professional gunsmiths and some are bedded by me and they all shoot the same when it is me shooting.

The morale of this story is that the most critical factor is the skill of the person doing the shooting.

An expensive, one of a kind, once in a life time rifle is a thing of great joy and a pleasure to hunt with, but it does not make you a great rifle shot. Only, hard work and constant practice will do that.

BuffaloBob;
I know your reply was to rookie25 but I appreciate what you said.

I am also new to LRH stuff and I have really wrestled with weather neck turning/weighing cases/weighing bullets/ogive comparing/bulleting turning was worth what I "MIGHT" get out of it. I guess when I get to the point where I can tell if it's the components or just the "nut at the back of the gun" that's the problem then maybe some of those things will be of more use to me.

You put it in some pretty clear words where the effort shoulf be.

Thanks,
Colby

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.