New guy. Intro and plan for my first rifle.

Did some reloads
5 shots
20230616_130951.jpg

20230616_134757.jpg

4 shots on left, then I thought the 5th one would print differently, so I shot it at another target. (It was seated a little lower ). Turns out it would have been right in there with the others.

Cheap chrono was acting strangely.
Good loads at below normal speeds. Maybe just leave it at that? Or keep trying with more powder and then changing seating depths.

Did some reloads
5 shots
View attachment 470857

View attachment 470858

4 shots on left, then I thought the 5th one would print differently, so I shot it at another target. (It was seated a little lower ). Turns out it would have been right in there with the others.

Cheap chrono was acting strangely.
Good loads at below normal speeds. Maybe just leave it at that? Or keep trying with more powder and then changing seating depths.
How much lower than normal speeds? Are you within published min and max charge/velocity? If you can duplicate the target with one hole in it, I'd say your onto something! Remember, most (not all) "accurate" loads are charged with something less than maximum powder charge. Write down everything. Stay safe and have fun!

Screenshot_20230610_174716_Samsung Notes.jpg

20230616_214348.jpg

Twice loaded hornady brass. Annealed torch and socket/drill 8 seconds at neck.

Sized with hornady full length match bushing sizing die with short action customs .311 bushing. No expander or mandrel.

Bumped a little too much (4 to 5 thousandths. Will reduce bump next time. )
Trimmer length checked but none had any to trim (lee cutter/lock stud).
Chamfered and deburred

Lube washed off with paper towel and alcohol.

Primed with Lee hand primer tool. Winchester magnum primers.

Powder charge (7828sc) weighed on small amazon digital scale. Frequently checked with numerous check weights in ranges of 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, and bulletd of 69, 179.70 grains

Seated with appropriate stem with no wobble. At 3.330" oal. Checked all with comparator cbto (didn't seem as consistent as factory ammo I measured. Varying 4 to 5 thousandths versus factory at 1 thou). About .054 jump using hornady gauge and comparator

Screenshot_20230616_215110_Gallery.jpg

(/\ that one 60.5 is the one with 5 shots in one horizontal hole up there ).

This one is the one with 4 shots on left and 1 shot on right. \/

20230616_214355.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 470874

View attachment 470875

Twice loaded hornady brass. Annealed torch and socket/drill 8 seconds at neck.

Sized with hornady full length match bushing sizing die with short action customs .311 bushing. No expander or mandrel.

Bumped a little too much (4 to 5 thousandths. Will reduce bump next time. )
Trimmer length checked but none had any to trim (lee cutter/lock stud).
Chamfered and deburred

Lube washed off with paper towel and alcohol.

Primed with Lee hand primer tool. Winchester magnum primers.

Powder charge (7828sc) weighed on small amazon digital scale. Frequently checked with numerous check weights in ranges of 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, and bulletd of 69, 179.70 grains

Seated with appropriate stem with no wobble. At 3.330" oal. Checked all with comparator cbto (didn't seem as consistent as factory ammo I measured. Varying 4 to 5 thousandths versus factory at 1 thou). About .054 jump using hornady gauge and comparator

View attachment 470876

(/\ that one 60.5 is the one with 5 shots in one horizontal hole up there ).

This one is the one with 4 shots on left and 1 shot on right. \/

View attachment 470879
Except for shot 4 on last pic, good velocities. What happened? Try for sholder bump to 2-3 thousand max. No sense stressing your brass. Get the consistency down to 1-2 and I think you will be ok. Prep and shoot a group or two of the recipe you used on that #5 shot you did and see how it looks. Watch your velocities carefully. They can reveal much. It takes time to perfect your process, but keep at it. It will pay back nicely. If the gods are smiling that day, you may be in there! Stay safe and have fun.

Went again tonight, but was a bit rushed. Chrono was too low, so had to alter shooting position to shoot through chrono. Let barrel get a little hotter, more tension in firing position.

Still, good results around this velocity and powder charge. Sure it's not 3000 ft per second. But shoots softer and would prolong bbl life and still has like 1500 ft lbs at 1000yds.

Might just stick with a charge around here. 61.3 maybe

Then mess with seating depth or just shoot as is. Also have pederson brass on back order. Might have to redo testing then.

Attachments

• 20230617_204809.jpg
    20230617_204809.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
Went again tonight, but was a bit rushed. Chrono was too low, so had to alter shooting position to shoot through chrono. Let barrel get a little hotter, more tension in firing position.

Still, good results around this velocity and powder charge. Sure it's not 3000 ft per second. But shoots softer and would prolong bbl life and still has like 1500 ft lbs at 1000yds.

Might just stick with a charge around here. 61.3 maybe

Then mess with seating depth or just shoot as is. Also have pederson brass on back order. Might have to redo testing then.
Dont shoot the chrono. Ask me how I know that.😁. Don't get in a rush, the results will be better. Can you say, "relax"? If I were you, I'd load 5 at-61.1, 61.2, 61.3, 61.4, and 61.5. I have a feeling your there! Watch for horizontal or vertical group movement. Settle on the best one. Looking good. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks will do!

After the groups I went over to 500yds with factory 175eldx.

Plugged in data in strelok and fired at the small unused plate.

Then a follow up:

Right on top of the first.

500 yard reloads test today. Had a hunch that the rem 9.5 primers were tighter grouping, as I noticed it at 100 yds but had only tested 1 group of 5 at 100.

Tried it at 500 yards and shot round Robin. Win primer and then rem primer back and forth. Couldn't see results till I got down range.

There was high mirage, shifting winds around 10mph.

But red bullet group seemed to shoot tight.

Attachments

• 20230718_180055.jpg
    20230718_180055.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
Hello,

Been shooting a lot, but always within 500 yards. Do pretty well there at those ranges with cheap scopes and guns. But I want to start trying further. I have an old semi auto hunting gun in 30-06 but it's not known for accuracy.
So I came up with this plan, take my very first rifle I bought when I turned 18 and rebarrel it to something more useful.

I never shoot it anymore, after many decades (90s).

Savage 110 in 223 but it's a long action.

So, I ordered a 7mm prc shilen prefit, small shank, 26" heavy palma contour for it. Also ordered new bolt head. Next going to look for a used orxy, relieve some of the action's maxwell so it will work with it and see how far I can take that gun for some casual long range plinking, maybe some prs matches here and there for fun, and some hunting (antelope and elk).

Thoughts or tips?

Anyway, hello and look forward to learning.
Get the metal cryogenically treated, I used American Cryogenics.
The process will definitely help relieve stress. Also increases wear 400%
$65 when I did it, well worth it.