New Guy Intro

Michael J. Spangler

Hello everyone

I've been lurking a while with a question or two popping up now and then. I noticed i had not made an intro post so i guess it's time

My name is Mike

i've been shooting for some years, but just jumping around with no real direction. I was lucky enough to trade a buddy an old piece of forging equipment for a nice Rem 700P is 300RUM that had been tuned by dan bedell. equipped with a muzzle brake, leupold MK4 3.5-10 IR Mil dot, single piece base MK4 rings, harris 6-9 canting bipod with lock, all of the necessary reloading equipment and components, bunch of factory ammo, cleaning supplies, sling, SKB case etc

so i figured it was time t get started and make use of the rifle that had previously only seen 63 rounds fired down the tube.

i'm off and on without a ton of time to devote to it, trying to work some on my main hobby of custom knife making (spanglercustomknives.com)
but i've been doing some serious research and i'm working up some loads, in hopes to hunt with it someday

being stuck in MA there's no way i could use it in state. any suggestions on outfitters or hunting trips would be awesome.

i have already learned a ton from this site and i'm sure i'll keep learning a ton more every time i pull it up. thanks for everyone that contributes and thanks to Len for giving you the chance to contribute

Come to Colorado. We have lots of public land, several seasons to choose from, over the counter licenses and the most beautiful country that God ever created. You don't need a guide but there are a ton of them if you are more comfortable that way.

Mike,

Welcome to LRH. Sorry for the delay in responding but been working a lot lately and haven't devoted much time to shooting or this forum.
Sounds like you have the right equipment to get started in this discipline. Now if you could find the time and place to practice, huh?
My advise; practice and read. JohnnyK.

thanks guys

i really need to start looking in to a place like colorado.
i'm not ready yet but i figure another year of spending some serious range time (hopefully once a week average over the year) and i read my ballistics/reloading/hunting books almost every night

i figure i'll spend some time with experienced shooters in the area and see if i feel i have enough get up and go to make a trip

i'm lucky enough to have a 500 yard range down the street. i think that's about as long as it gets in MA though. it should keep my busy for the time being

i spent some time messing with COL when reloading the 208 amax, but haven't noticed a big difference with this particular bullet.

with more reading i think i'm going to switch to the berger 210, and see if i can forget about the COL and just focus on messing with the OCW and then tweak the COL, but i would prefer to keep them to a functional mag length if at all possible.

thanks again guys. like i said before. i can't wait to dive in to the long range shooting/hunting

Michael, A belated welcome to LRH. For some sure thing long range hunting action roninflag probably has the best idea. Outfitted hunts are pretty cheap (compared to elk or deer anyway) and you can kill several. We shoot our bucks where we find them........ may be 100 yards or may be long range. Once you get them done you can start picking out a doe waaaaay over there and go to work! Units around Douglas, WY, north and south from there have LOTS of goats.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.