New guy

Sean223

Hi all. Been on this site several times for some great info so decided to join. Have a cz 455 .17 and a Howa 1500 223. Mainly used for shooting foxes, crows etc. now I want to try some longrange stuff which I hope you guys can help me out with. Cheers.

Sean-Welcome. what "stuff " are you shooting at? how far? roninflag
Mainly varminting with it at the min out to 300 yards or so but would like to go out a bit more. Also would like to try some long-range target work out to 500-600 yards. Am shooting hornady 53grn vmax superformance at the min but going to try some 60grn vmax, they should work better at alar targets. My Howa has a 1/12 twist so think that's as heavy as I can go. ??

Hi all. Been on this site several times for some great info so decided to join. Have a cz 455 .17 and a Howa 1500 223. Mainly used for shooting foxes, crows etc. now I want to try some longrange stuff which I hope you guys can help me out with. Cheers.
Welcome. Read all of the stickies at the top of this subforum and you'll be off to a good start.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. We all had to learn it somewhere and this site is probably the best and most informative site you will find on the subject.

Thanks. I've been reading flat out here all-day yesterday. If only things were as interesting at school, or if I had of found school as interesting lol.

Welcome , I am fairly new to this site myself , Sticky has fathoms on knowledge as well as lots of the shooters on here . I am not new to long range but have learned lots of new technology as I am old school an willing to learn . The only thing I can say starting out is practice is the best teacher .

Welcome Sean223!

You're right regarding the 60 grain 223 round for your Howa 1500. The 1:12 twist rate for a 223 won't stabilize rounds above 62 grains, and really does best for rounds from 40-55 grains, with the good ol' 55 grain being the optimal for that twist rate. That said, depending on your altitude (higher is more ballistically friendly) you can reach out to 500-600+ meters with the 55 grain 223 loaded to ~2900 fps at 70 degrees Farenheight. That is what I shoot with my Rem 700 223.

For your beginning LR practice, I definitely recommend using your Howa 1500, getting REALLY familiar with it, and practicing all the fundamentals (like those suggested in the "The Basics" conversations.

What scope do you have on your rifles? I run a Vortex Viper PA 6.5-20x50 on my Rem 700. It has an MOA reticle that is decent for ranging targets out past 1000 meters and I like its durability and accuracy. It tracks flawlessly, always returns to zero, and has really good glass for a $350 scope.

I definitely agree with the guys about not being afraid to ask questions. We all started out by knowing nothing and now have something to share. So no question is too trivial to ask.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.