pinned talley rings, zeiss hd5 and stiller predator problem

firstcoueswas80

Mounted up the zeiss hd5 to the stiller predator 7 lrm with pinned talley lw rings/bases. While bore sighting, I ran out of windage rather quickly. I've never ran into this before and don't know what to do... help please!

i'm not a big expert but if you loosen the front ring will it come in? my old clanker enfield did this and had to shim the ring also make sure the scope is level and the base is level

windage or elevation? if its elevation and you have one of their 20 moa bases you could have the base backwards. Just to clarify if its a 20 moa base the front end will have a little round mark on the top corner surface of the rail, the back end will have no marks. Their 0 moa base has no marks on either end.

If it is in fact "windage" sounds like a ring isn't fitting properly on the rail notches.

Just for S's and G's try turning your rings the other direction and see if the windage problem goes the other way. I know it will make mounting the scope a little weird with the ring off set but your just trying to see if it's the rings. I'm thinking the rings aren't centered. Stillers are built pretty good so I wouldn't expect the holes to be off on the action. The only other option is the barrel pulled up crooked for some reason.

This problem is rare on a custom rifle. It's fairly easy to figure out what's wrong.

Place a 12-18" metal ruler (any long straight edge will do) along the left side of the action so that the end sticks out about 8-14" past the receiver toward the muzzle. Measure the gap between the tip of the ruler and the barrel. Then repeat for the other side. If the two gaps differ by more than about .062", the barrel is installed crooked. Talk to the smith that made the rifle.

If the barrel is installed straight, then place the ruler against the sides of both bases. Are the bases parallel? If not, that could be the problem and you need to reinstall the bases so that they are parallel. I usually check for parallelism by seeing if I can insert a .003" feeler gauge between the ruler and the base at the front or rear end if the base.

If the bases are parallel, then see if the axis of the bases is parallel to the axis of the barrel. Do this by placing the ruler against the left side of bases so that the end sticks out about 8-14" past the receiver toward the muzzle. Then measure the gap between the tip of the ruler and the barrel. Then repeat for the other side. If the two gaps differ by more than about .062", the bases are installed crooked on the receiver. Talk to Stiller.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts