Pillar bedding a ruger m77

RocketDog

I bought some pillars from midway and was lining them up to check clearances. The back tang doesn't have much material left when I center the pillar hole with the hole on the stock. Also any idea what size drill bit I need to use? The thickness is .535 I was thinking 17/32 or 5/8. Thanks!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 875
Have done several Ruger actions, you need enough of a hole for the bedding compound to have some bite on the pillar. You want a mechanical lock taking place. If the pillars you have are smooth, I would have someone turn 3 grooves in the outer surface to create this mechanical lock.
I have always made my holes for the pillars 9/16". You can buy the correct counterbore drill bit through Brownells, if you wish.
I have always found it best to pillar bed first, then bed the action, recoil lug and barrel as a second step and the tang last on Rugers. I do not bed the centre of the action around the mag well, I use this as the area that supports the rest of the action while removing material for the bedding compound. Other people may do it differently, but this always works for me. I have also done the pillars and recoil lug in one step, then the barrel and then the tang, but the results weren't as neat and compound found it's way into the mag well. I find bedding the knox form for 2" gives the best results with the rest of the barrel free floated.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.