Pierce Ti Featherweight

As an Orthopedic Surgeon I implanted many Stryker Tritanium Triathlon total knees using a 3D printed tibia baseplate. Because of the ability to print a porous undersurface on the component, bone would ingrow into the baseplate providing excellent biologic fixation with low risk of component fracture. I would be hesitant to use this material in a custom rifle action however because the grain structure and strength of printed and cast titanium would be weaker than in a forged (non printed) application. Agree with badthirtyone on this point.
And magnesium also really burns well in a fire LOL.

Reminds me, Jud, grab some of the Ti chips (CAREFULLY!) and take them with on the next camping trip. They burn very pretty in the camp fire. The smaller the chips the better.

I say carefully because Ti has an even lower rejection rate from your body than does Stainless. A Ti chip stuck in you is extremely unlikely to fester, to get it out you will have to do some field surgery. This is why implants are made from it, not for weight or any other reason.
You sir are miss informed. All the titanium they put in me was specifically for reduced weight with high strength. Kept me light for racing.
lol

As an Orthopedic Surgeon I implanted many Stryker Tritanium Triathlon total knees using a 3D printed tibia baseplate. Because of the ability to print a porous undersurface on the component, bone would ingrow into the baseplate providing excellent biologic fixation with low risk of component fracture. I would be hesitant to use this material in a custom rifle action however because the grain structure and strength of printed and cast titanium would be weaker than in a forged (non printed) application. Agree with badthirtyone on this point.
And magnesium also really burns well in a fire LOL.
Before printed porous parts it was machined holes in the parts, sometimes with expanded Ti sheet metal welded over the holes for the bone to grow into. A good friend was that welder in the early-mid 80's.
I'll disagree though, designed with the casting process in mind an Investment Cast Ti action and even an Investment Cast Ti bolt are perfectly safe & viable parts. They just will be larger and likely heavier than machined billet or machined near-net forgings.
Mag can be hard to get started because it oxidizes so easily. I have seen a puddle of molten mag in a bonfire not ignite because of the covering of mag-oxide floating on top of it.
You sir are miss informed. All the titanium they put in me was specifically for reduced weight with high strength. Kept me light for racing.
lol
Keep going! Keep going! Make me more lighter!
:)

Some may be interested to know the current 1000yd 10 match LG .agg record was shot with a non integral lug. I mean the best 10 targets ever shot by man in 1000 yard BR. I have a Pierce action on order for a light build for myself. Integral is always nice, but the more material you remove the more the action warps. So there are trades.

Some may be interested to know the current 1000yd 10 match LG .agg record was shot with a non integral lug. I mean the best 10 targets ever shot by man in 1000 yard BR. I have a Pierce action on order for a light build for myself. Integral is always nice, but the more material you remove the more the action warps. So there are trades.
I'm looking forward to your build using a Pierce action. Thank you!

Also, thanks for sharing some facts about how well non integral lug actions can shoot. I think that proves that they can be extremely accurate and won't hold back 99% of shooters.

As much as I'd like to see it just because I think it would be cool, I can't think of one integral lug in my own inventory. Jud, I think that your estimate might be low. :)

I could see a lefthanded 6x45 on one of these with a mtn contour barrel around 20". Its tiring looking for lefties with .223 bolt face, time savings alone makes these very attractive.

I could see a lefthanded 6x45 on one of these with a mtn contour barrel around 20". Its tiring looking for lefties with .223 bolt face, time savings alone makes these very attractive.
We can make a lefty .223 action in Ti.

Let's see the lightest build ever. 6x45 full ti.
Light stick with hasting micro lite pad. Ti action screws, magpul composite bottom metal. Tally rings and a swfa 2-10 ultralight.

Haven't used one of their actions but have had Pierce Engineering do some barrel work in the past. Great place to do business, easy to work with, reasonably priced, quality work, great attention to detail. 10/10 would recommend to anyone.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.