Winchester 70 Featherweight

You can hold the rifle in one hand and bang the side of the stock with your other hand not so hard you hurt yourself and you should hear no rattles or funny vibrations. You can also ship your rifle anywhere in the states for $50 so don't sweat finding a guy local...

Another thing worth checking is the scope mount screws. I found a problem with the screws on a gun I was having a terrible time with yesterday. The front mount screw on the picatinny was long and bottoming on the barrel threads before the mount was drawn down. Shortened it .030". Problem solved.

All great suggestions, If its a Leupold , You should call the Service/ Tech department at Leupold and give them the serial number . This will prove its a real Leupold vari X 3 and not a Chinese copy. Many on the ,market , in a Box ,with paperwork in box . Looks real. Check rings , check bases for correct tightness of screws, and use the dollar bill test to make sure you barrel channel has sufficient clearance between the wood and the barrel. I had an issue like that back in the 90's with a Model 70 Super Grade, and the bedding under the action was just terrible from the factory . Glass bedding and Pillars did the trick. Send it to a competent Gunsmith/or a Bench Rest Gun Smith . Have it bedded and get a trigger job while its in the shop. Give him 5 Rds. of your favorite loads , and have him test fire it. It will make it better!!! Good luck, Lenny

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.