Winchester M70 Featherweight rebuild questions

33shooter

Hello, first time posting here but I have read some here in the past. I am a staff writer for Tactical Gun Review and I am about to start a project and am doing some research. This project hits home for me as it is centered around the first gun I was given. It's a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight chambered in .270 Win. Made in the 80s I believe.

I want to bring the rifle to a higher level while keeping the looks of the rifle very traditional. The main goal of this is to also thread it for a silencer. I lost interest in the rifle because it isn't threaded and loud guns are undesirable to me now that I have a silencer. Here is a list that I want done.

Rebarrel with quality barrel that is threaded.
Refinish the stock to a glossy finish
Bed the stock
Replace the trigger
Blue barreled action
Address bolt knob

I'd like to get opinions on the barrel contour (fluting?), barrel length, stock refinishing, bluing and the bolt knob. I want this to look like a nice rifle that's fairly traditional, light, and able to be suppressed.

I've never reworked a rifle like this before and will be using a quality gunsmith. Are there anything about these guns that make them poor candidates for this, or good?

I will be using blued Talley rings and base, and most likely a new Leupold VX6 3-18

Thanks for the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.