Picatinny Rail with or without built in moa?

I once put a 20 moa base on a 308; it resulted in the point of impact at 100 yards being over 4" high with the scope adjustment turned all the way down. I can't remember the scope that I had on the rifle at the time, but I went to a 0 moa base for this particular one.
Hmm….what scope? Sounds like this was with an old school 50 moa range scope??
What he is saying is if you had tried to practice at 600+ you would have known that your equipment wasn't capable. Instead, you went into the hunt without any idea of your maximum capable range. You basically just told us that you would have taken a longer shot at game than you ever have with that rifle without validating its ability.
Yea, I'm glad he made the mental equipment note. Hope he made the mental note to practice as far as he will shoot. That said, I'm not sure we know enough to turn this thread on full blast.
How about this thread doesn't turn into a ****ing match and we let people learn and grow from their own mistakes and experiences?

EGW, TPS, and many more

EGW sells them
The guy is on this forum asking for Help. This is the place where there is many years of knowledge. He is not here to get judged and an *** eating about not taking a shot at an animal too far away.
DONT BE SO QUICK TO BE JUDGEMENTAL.. Have you not ever made a mistake!!!!
This is not aimed at any one person.Its to all of us.

Ok guys, I need your help. Maybe I'm being thick headed, but I am having a hard time deciding if I'm gaining anything by going with a rail with built in moa.

My rifle is a Fierce Carbon Edge 7mm rem mag with a 26" barrel. The scope I bought and am going to mount on this rifle is a Leupold VX-5 HD 3-15x44 CDS-ZL2 with the windplex reticle. I plan on ordering a steel picatinny rail from Murphy precision and already have Leupold PRW2 rings I plan on using. This setup is going to be my go to hunting and practice setup. For hunting, I do not plan on shooting past 700yds, but I would like to practice and learn to hit steel consistently out to at least 1000yds.

Here's where I'm stuck. Murphy Precision offers 0, 10, and 20 moa rails. I was planning on getting the 10 moa rail, but got to thinking about what I'm gaining by doing that. If the scope dial (ZL2) only has 2 revolutions of adjustment… am I gaining anything by having moa built into the rail? If this does give me more than 2 revolutions, then am I just counting the clicks to know where I'm at past the 2nd revolution?
Sometimes those inclined MOA mounts cause your chosen scope (or sunshade) to touch the barrel! - You'd have to use higher rings, then maybe an adjustable cheekrest!

Last edited:
New to your sight here. You guys are a wealth of information and opinions…. I do appreciate your knowledge and insights. I am in a similar boat, purchased an old Remington 700 in 22-250 and was debating on the 0 or 20 minute rail, what are your thoughts?

New to your sight here. You guys are a wealth of information and opinions…. I do appreciate your knowledge and insights. I am in a similar boat, purchased an old Remington 700 in 22-250 and was debating on the 0 or 20 minute rail, what are your thoughts?
I would still opt for the 20MOA. Granted the 22-250 is a more limited range cartridge and flat shooting so you could probably get away with the 0MOA and and never run out of elevation. I don't necessarily think there is a wrong answer between the two in this application, but I would rather have the extra elevation and not need it.

Sometimes those inclined MOA mounts cause your chosen scope (or sunshade) to touch the barrel! - You'd have to use higher rings, then maybe an adjustable cheekrest!
Agreed, the front bell of my scope just barely misses touching the barrel.

Here's where I'm stuck. Murphy Precision offers 0, 10, and 20 moa rails. I was planning on getting the 10 moa rail but got to thinking about what I'm gaining by doing that. If the scope dial (ZL2) only has 2 revolutions of adjustment… am I gaining anything by having moa built into the rail? If this does give me more than 2 revolutions, then am I just counting the clicks to know where I'm at past the 2nd revolution?

Murphy Precision makes some of the best pic bases I've ever seen and they make them for oddball actions too. I have a few of them and personally settled on their 10moa base for a few rifles. It's a reasonable compromise unless you have a dedicated 1,000yd rifle, IMO anyway. Using a 20moa base on a rifle that is primarily used at less than 400yds makes no sense to me. With a 10moa base most cartridge/scope combos will get you to 1,000yds for an occasional shoot while still leaving your reticle more closely centered for hunting at moderate distances.

You also need to carefully choose your ring height when using a pic rail. You will often need a lower height ring because the pic rail generally provides more lift than traditional bases. I use low and/or medium rings on my pic rails without issue on my 50mm objective scopes.

Just my 2 cents

The scope you have chosen has a total elevation range of 75 MOA, ÷ 2 = 37.5 MOA total elevation on a zero MOA mount give or take.
If you use a 20 MOA mount; add 20 + 37.5 = 57.5 total MOA.
I recommend a 30 MOA mount; add 30 + 37.5 = 67.5 MOA.
You do not want to use a rail with more MOA inclination than half your total elevation range or you will not be able to zero your rifle.

Murphy Precision makes some of the best pic bases I've ever seen and they make them for oddball actions too. I have a few of them and personally settled on their 10moa base for a few rifles. It's a reasonable compromise unless you have a dedicated 1,000yd rifle, IMO anyway. Using a 20moa base on a rifle that is primarily used at less than 400yds makes no sense to me. With a 10moa base most cartridge/scope combos will get you to 1,000yds for an occasional shoot while still leaving your reticle more closely centered for hunting at moderate distances.

You also need to carefully choose your ring height when using a pic rail. You will often need a lower height ring because the pic rail generally provides more lift than traditional bases. I use low and/or medium rings on my pic rails without issue on my 50mm objective scopes.

Just my 2 cents
Varmint Hunter: I am setting up a 6mm/280AI rifle in a 30" barrel that just been completed. 7-1 Twist rate, Heavy Palma Bartlein barrel built as a 32" barrel cut back. Rem 700 LA blue printed, set up for muzzle brake or suppressor, TriggerTech Diamond, custom stock. Presently planning on using a CrimsonTrace Ser-5 3x18x50mm, 34mm tube, Mil spec. (Why because I never used a Mil spec scope before and wanted to try one) For the money I couldn't see where I could go wrong. I have enough scopes presently. It's not a problem to go to N.F scope if needed. Unknown what the total travel on the elevation range is. Not given, or can't find. I have jump through the hoops in upgrading my reloadling equipment at the same time. some is still on backorder presently. Long story shorten. I haven't purchase scope rings nor a picatinny rail yet. I have always believe in a single base to mount the scope rings on. In all the reading here. It seem to me that taller scope rings do some of the same work as a picatinny rail will do to a point.
Why I am looking at 500 to 1000 yard shots, for varmint hunting. (Perry dogs and ground squirrels.) It's harder and make a better shooter out of you. I have a fair spread of powder, primers, bullets. Petersons 280AI cases on hand.