Pic rail verses traditional bases and rings

twooly

I am going to be putting a new scope on a rifle. The rifle is a Beretta Mateo in 280 Remington. Currently it has traditional leupold bases and rings on it like the ones pictured. What are the advantages if any to using a pic rail rather than the traditional bases? Should a rail be considered for this job?

Attachments

• 51F78CD6-F5C8-46F5-B9D0-7618D20FD0E6.jpeg
    51F78CD6-F5C8-46F5-B9D0-7618D20FD0E6.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 57
It looks like you've maxed out your ability to move the scope forward with your current set-up. A pic rail would allow much more positioning adjustment.

Other benefits would be a more robust mounting system and the ability to quickly/easily change out the scope. You could also get a 10moa or 20moa base if needed.

Just my opinions…
My observation is that separate bases and rings like in your pic are a legacy from when scopes were first being introduced. Many receivers were drilled and tapped not 100% in-line with bore and separate base/rings allowed proper alignment.

For modern rifles I prefer one piece rings which attach directly to the receiver. A pic rail will give you more front-rear adjustment options; and for some, the tactical look too.

Some examples of rigs that may need more front-rear adjustment include: magnum receiver with smallish scope; and, short receiver with biggish scope.

Anything I have set up personally lately has been1 piece bases and rings, but there is still a lot of older stuff floating around our house too.

Appearance is not important, more robust is. If a rail is more robust what brand should I look at?

I use all Murphy Precision pic rails on my rifles. Their rails are precisely machined, available for nearly every action made (even discontinued stuff), are available in various metals and finishes and can be had flat-10moa-20moa and other angles.

As far as I know, they literally machine your base when it's ordered. The only downside is they aren't cheap. LOL

Interesting thread, not to steal, but just yesterday, I set about to put some Burris signature dovetail rings (good rings in my opinion, in terms of never marring a scope and accuracy) onto bases on a different gun (buddies gun that won't shoot, wanted to eliminate scope variable) with Leupold dovetail bases. Now, the internet says they are interchangeable. Burris likely having copied Leupold......

But they are not. The Burris rings in the Leupy bases are loose (up front). Rear is meaningless in that case, and I did not not bother.....

Soo... My 2 cents. I will be going pic rails more and more. Has been the trend for me for years. But finding out that supposed "interchangeable" dovetail bases are not is the last straw.

I DO agree that a classic set of dovetail rings from an appearance standpoint is best on a classic looking gun. But what shoots and what does NOT bugger up the gun or the scope is more important.

Using Burris Signature Zee rings on a pic rail doesn't look as strong as other (pic rail) rings but I've got them on rifles chambered in 300RUM & 338RUM and have never had an issue. Insert rings can solve a lot of problems and can provide a considerable amount of elevation, depending on the combination of off-set inserts that you use.

If you want a rather robust set of rings with inserts, Burris makes a tactical set of rings that are very impressive and they come with a variety of inserts IIRC. My buddy put a set on his 378Wby mag and really likes them.

Last edited:
I have a leupold solid base with the rear adjustable windage base in the back like the picture. The rifle is a 300 weatherby mag and the recoil has ripped the edge of the rings off where the windage screws hold it in place.

That rifle is getting switched to picatinny and stout rings.

I am slowly switching most of my rifles to picatinny as I like the more solid base/ring mount style.

Back in the day when leupold and others developed rings and bases most people weren't mounting 30+Oz scopes on cannons of rifles. I have never had a problem with leupold rings and bases on normal recoiling rifles with light 1" tube scopes like everyone used to use.

I run 20MOA Picatinny rails on every rifle I own.

They allow for more adjustment in mounting scopes.
They allow a broader (and dare I say better) choice of ring options
Swapping a scope (if needed) becomes quick and easy. You can even have a 2nd scope zeroed for your rifle in case of a drop out in the field while hunting.

When I go on a hunt, I am a crazy person. I usually take 2-3 rifles (or 4...), AND have a back-up scope already zeroed for my main rifle just in case of a drop that might leave a lingering question in my mind. On occasion, I have actually had to break out a back-up rifle a few times for a hunting partner when something happened to their only rifle they brought.

After dealing with Ruger M77, MKII mounting systems, PIC rails, especially 20MOA types make me happy. EGW & Weigand types included. The Weigand no drill no tap has been entirely satisfactory on my high comb Ruger MKII's.
I was going to run a weigand but they said not to on 338 and larger because of recoil.