Mount Question: Pic rail VS traditional mounts?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by fishrmann, Mar 29, 2015.

1. fishrmann

fishrmann New Member

Hi. I've got a Tikka T3 lite in 7mm rem mag that is my primary hunting rifle. It currently has a Nikon Monarch 4-16X on it. During off season I like to shoot, a lot! We have access to a 1k yard range I'm hoping to start spending some time at.

With that said, I'm trying to decide whether or not to stay with traditional scope mounts/rings or go with a PIC rail, likely with some MOA - either 10 or 20. Leaning towards Tikka performance 20moa model rail with integrated recoil lug.

My question - will I gain anything in regards to strength and rigidity going with rail or better off sticking with a higher performance 1 piece base and rings?

Any and all thoughts, suggestions, ideas welcome. Thanks in advance!!

2. FearNoWind

FearNoWind Well-Known Member

I prefer the rail concept.
    Once the rail is bedded I can be confident that everything is properly aligned and that it will stay that way. Actions drilled and tapped for scope mounting are often out of alignment (if only slightly) and they are rarely at precisely the same elevation (front to back) with reference to the top of the receiver.

3. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I think the pic rail, when used with quality rings, in addition to other benefits, offers added strength particularly with the option of having the integral recoil lug which takes the stress off the mount screws during recoil, for heavy scooes using heavy recoiling calibers. In my experience the weakest point in the scope mount system are the receiver screws.

4. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Another vote for the picatinny rail with 20 MOA cant even if you have enough scope elevation for the 1K yard.

C&P from an optics SME ...

5. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

What I like about rail is most my set ups similar where I could swap scopes with rails easy in minutes,usually and check.