"Payment" for helping pack out an elk?

Payment, in my circles anyways, has only ever been a half a tenderloin, some back strap, and a beer after gtfo of whatever steep rocky brushed canyon country we are packing out of.

I about never have radio or cell signal anywhere I hunt so, usually I'm left to go back and forth all day and night myself.

I had a buddy that drew a bison permit in Alaska years ago. He didn't have a rifle large enough, so he borrowed my dad's .338 Win Mag. He didn't have a vehicle capable of carrying an animal if we were successful, so we used my pickup. We drove 330 miles to the hunting grounds and were successful in our harvest, but he had never cleaned an animal, so I did. We loaded the bison in the pickup and took it back to my meat house and hung it for several days. He decided to take it to the butcher and a couple weeks later he brought my dad's rifle back all rusted up, along with 1 roast. I appreciated the roast, but don't be like my buddy. Share generously, next year you might be the pack mule :)

The first elk hunt he helped me on, I gave him some meat. That was the only hunt we really hunted together. There after I usually find his camp and will grab the biggest quartet and pack it to his cooler. He's found my camp and done the same. We rarely give each other meat because lately we always harvest so it's not really needed.

a couple weeks later he brought my dad's rifle back all rusted up, along with 1 roast. I appreciated the roast, but don't be like my buddy. Share generously, next year you might be the pack mule :)
I don't know.. bring back my rifle all rusty and there likely wouldn't be a next time with me. Sounds like you might be a little more understanding than me. 1 roast doesn't cover that kind of mistake!

I'm kind of surprised at how many people split the meat evenly. I've never seen or heard of that being done, but I can certainly see the logic in behind it.

Just curious. What, if anything, do you do for a hunting buddy who helps pack an elk out? Share some of the meat? First shot next year?
I've packed out nearly 100 elk with only 18 of those being my own. Never received a penny and wouldn't accept it if were offered and good lord willing will pack out 100 more before the man upstairs calls me home. A hand shake and a thank is all that's needed.

A few years ago, my brother and nephew shot a cow and a bull. Due to circumstances too long to relate here, I wound up taking the cow to the truck alone in two trips with my game cart. I was offered a shoulder which I accepted. I didn't care one way or the other. I was just glad to help. My brother and nephew hauled the bull out on a bigger game cart with their rifles and packs. One trip. My nephew offered half the bull. No takers. Everyone left happy. That was a good day.

Last year, I let this guy go around me. Then I head off ridge, few minutes shot right above me. Later my son gets me at pickup point Guy earlier went around next corner n shoot bull He heavy and had hard time just getting to elk My boy pull to road, gut and load in his truck He was very thankful

Attachments

• 4782A4E0-443C-4552-9418-AA0A0C1365D3.jpeg
    4782A4E0-443C-4552-9418-AA0A0C1365D3.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 09963679-3036-4451-ADA5-C59A7BB9E447.jpeg
    09963679-3036-4451-ADA5-C59A7BB9E447.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 114
Interesting question because I've never thought if it... Guess my buddies (who are mostly family) have always had an unwritten rule that we will stop hunting when we learn someone was successful and help the successful hunter get his meat out before resuming our pursuit. If someone was unsuccessful at the end of the hunt we will share a portion of the meat but not necessarily an even distribution. So I guess there are a lot of options but it's probably best to discuss it if you are hunting with a new group to be sure there are no misunderstandings and to be sure you are not "that guy" who doesn't get invited back next year.

Some places I hunt are guide heavy,and Ive been out alone and asked what it would cost me.Some say around $100-200 for a guy depending on distance.When my father shot a buffalo at Gardner it was $50 for dude with hoist truck to drop in pickup.Worth every penny

Just curious. What, if anything, do you do for a hunting buddy who helps pack an elk out? Share some of the meat? First shot next year?
This inquiry would never arise in my buddy world. The term "buddy" carries a "paid in full long, long ago, nothing due/expected/accepted" understanding. My reward is having/being with a buddy, enjoying his success, assisting in his success. Pendulum swings freely both ways. In our world, that is what buddies are for/how defined. Your load is my load, no other thoughts. It just is. We're offended if we don't get the nod/call to help....weren't there in the first place....why did you go without me???..... or were offered compensation for sharing the load. Buddies end up eating as much of the reward as the shooter.....just being buddies. I'll probably buy HIM a big steak dinner, drinks, and cigars celebrating his success. YMMV......feel really, really bad for you if it does.