Elk toting pack frame recommendations

See if you can find one of those old military pack boards, you can pack anything on them.

Personally I'm lazy, I use a Belgium to pack critters.

Pete.JPG

Hey kraigwy

Hoping not to be takin as a smart ***$s but you need to reverse your scabbard or raise the back of it. If you are climbing in rough steep country and it un-snaps you will lose your rifle. Trust me if it can happen it will. A good stout mountain horse is better than any pack frame made especially for elk unless you don't have one.

Myself, the old military packboads suck....I've packed alot of elk out on them, and they still suck, especially when they break due to trying to pack a little more to save a trip. Don't know about any of the flea market ones either. I love my Cabela's Alaskan II frame. So far it's been dependable. Been looking to try a Kifaru Longhunter, as I've heard they are the best.

I'll take a mule over the best horse any day, (or any of my friends).The only problem with packing on a mule is it has to be convinced it is their own idea. The phrase "stubborn as a mule" fits. If they don't WANT to pack, they won't.

Gotta agree with kcebcj; that gun will fall out, probably when climbing up the bank coming out of a very fast moving creek....bye-bye nice rifle.

Kifaru is the cat's meow. With the built in chair you just drop a quarter in the chair, pull up the straps, one piece of rope across the top and your off. I used mine to haul 3 moose last Sept and it was way more comfortable than the Bull Pacs I tried.
Spendy but worth it when the load gets unruly.

I am strongly considering a Kifaru Spikecamp with the cargo chair. But I checked with them and there's no way to get one for this season. Meanwhile, I'm going to switch from my old Northface internal to my almost-pristine Dana Designs Terraplane. (Can you believe I bought that right out of their design shop for $80 ten years ago...one of the last to be made in the USA before Dana sold out to K2).

Didn't want to bloody it up, but that thing has support and will work better with my Kifaru Gunbearer. I've hauled 80+ lbs on five-day trips and never felt the load that much. Although, like taking off any pack, you feel a lot lighter with it off your back! I'll just give it a good cleaning after I (hopefully) fill it with gamebags full of meat.

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.