***Pawn Shop Rifle, Help!!***

shaggy773

I bought a custom rifle at a pawn shop yesterday and I dont really know anything about it. Im looking for any information I can get. I know its a Mauser action but I dont even know what model it is. I believe its a 98 but Im just not sure. The caliber is another story as well. I found dies for a .270 ackley improved but the "magnum" is whats throwing me. Please help. Thanks
guns
guns :: action and barrel picture by shaggy773 - Photobucket

That appears to be a commercial '98 (no thumb cut on left side for use with a clip charger). Made by Zastava in Yugo, first imported by Interarms then by Charles Daly (this one looks like a Chas. Daly). As for the cartridge it's chambered for, there needs to be a chamber cast made and measured for positive I.D. Hobbiests build many on these actions as they were cheap and readily available, some of the 'average' builders used them, too. Some shoot well, some won't hit the bottom of a 5 gal. bucket at 50yds., depends on who did the work. Remington imported them and offered them as complete rifles, designated as the Model 798. (Not trying to put pawn shops down, but that's where guns with 'problems' seem to go,,,,,, there, or to a gunshow!)

Last edited:
Its a FN Mauser like Browning use to use on their early bolt actions during the early and mid 60"s. Looks like its chambered in the .270 Imperial Magnum but I do not know much about that caliber. I know that the .300 Imperial Magnum is real similar to the .300 RUM but that's about it. Good commercial action by the way. Not a terrible expensive one and a lot of company's built custom or semi custom rifles using them. Parker Hale is one. FN stands for Fabrique Nationail which is the parent company that now is producing Browning and Winchesters. Also called FN Herstal. The proof marks are Belgium and the easiest way to tell which Mauser action it is.

I'm sure the marking in the first pic reads Flaigs which was a PA gunsmithing firm from the 40s-60s. They did a lot of sporterizing of imported military actions. The caliber markings have me scratching my head though. I'd cast the chamber before going any further.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.