Passing on reloading skills

I wonder how hard it would be to build one of those for Tungsten?Don't know at what temp it melts but I watched a show where folks shot geese at 50-60 yards with #9 Tungsten loads!I was very impressed.
We used T in powdered form for core material in heavy for length jacketed bullets. It forms a solid under pressure, but I never tried melting and forming. T melts at >6,100 F degrees

I still consider myself a beginner so I have not taken this on. I finally found the time to invest in learnign when my kids were old enough that I wasn't coaching, which happened to be ~2018 and, like most, I was spending a lot more time at home by the start of 2020. I expect my kids might be interested to learn after the fun of being a 20-something passes.

As it can be hard to find a mentor (a problem that I didn't have), it might be worth mentioning where one could go if they would like to learn but cannot find a mentor. I live in Dallas so I could have went to : https://dallasreloads.com/product-category/reloading-classes/

I agree with many posters that reloading is becoming a lost art. Most of the younger generation want instant gratification. They can go to the local sporting goods store and spent a hundred dollars on a couple of boxes of 50 rd 223 or 9mm and go blast away. They don't really care about accuracy, but shots per second somewhere close?

I was taught to reload by a friend of my father's when I was 8-9 years old. My dad was a meat hunter and never had the money or desire to get into reloading. He typically shot 2 or 3 shots a year and mostly at game. My dads buddy was an WWII Army Veteran (European Campaign) and shot on Army Pistol Team. He was so good with a pistol and I wanted to learn. I started loading 38 Special. This was the deal that if I wanted to shoot, I had to learn to reload. He gave me the basics on reloading and watched me until he could trust that I had the basics for reloading strait wall pistol ammo. That was about 1967-68 and I got the bug to make my own ammo. I reloaded with my fathers friend into my teens and gained all the knowledge I could from that very wise man.

When I was a teenager I got away from reloading and shooting as much. Sports and interest in girls kind of took over until I finally got married and purchased my first home 1985. I proceeded buying my first reloading kit and I got back to reloading. Over the years I have continued my reloading equipment and skills venturing in shot shell as well to make my own tailored loads for 5 stand sporting clays, trap and skeet shooting.

I have had several younger people ask me to show them how to load a bullet or shotgun shell. Once we sit down and go through the process and the reading and research, we're done! They completely lose any interest? The question I am typically asked is why would you want to do all this work when you can buy it all done for you? My answer is always the same, I trust my tailored loads to be more accurate and more reliable than anything I can buy. Always get the same deer in the headlights look! Every time I pull the trigger my gun goes off is their typical answer.

A lot of the posts in this thread are very similar to mine. I came from an era that we did not have a lot of disposable income. My first introduction to reloading was because I was an inquisitive kid. Then when I purchased my first box of ammo and started doing the math, I found that reloading would save me money (not the truth today for cheap off the self ammo). I paid as much for 20 rounds of 270 Winchester ammo than I would for a pound of powder, primers and same bullets to make a 100. Now this was an era that I could purchase a 20 rd box of 150 gr 270 win ammo for about $8-10 (I am guessing here, but fairly close).

I am now pushing 65 years young and have a vast amount of equipment and knowledge. I still read about new techniques and equipment. I find fewer people that shoot reload their ammo? I have always enjoyed making something better than what I can buy. It has been a sense of gratification to make something better.

Nothing to do with this post, but I feel related to our plight as reloading generation. I firmly believe that the reason we cannot get components today is that the ammo manufactures don't want us people that reload to have components. That cuts into their profits! I have a 7mm RM and I was in Shooters World the other day, 20 rd box prices ranged from $32 for cheap that I would not shoot in my rifle to $55 for premium ammo. Now, here was the price shocker and where I feel the reload has an advantage. I shoot 6mm CM, a box of premium ammo runs about $45. Compared to 7RM I feel that I could save more money reloading the 6CM? Would the premium ammo shoot well in my rifles, Probably?

Doing the math, even at todays drastically inflated prices for components, in round figures for reloads for my 7RM. Primers @ .12 cents (way overpriced), bullet @ .45 cents and powder @ .42 cents, the non reusable components are about $1.00 per round. If you have to purchase brass depending on manufacture you use you can spend fro $1.00 to $1.60 each. Let's go for the middle of the road at $1.30. So a box of premium ammo is $55 and your reloaded premium ammo would be about $46. The price savings difference for 6CM is much greater. But, I don't want to go into multiple comparisons, the 7RM is about a $9 savings per 20rd box on your first loading and you now own the brass. You next reloading will be about $1. Your second reloads will cost you about $20 so now that is a $35 savings and for the 6CM would be substantially more? The ammo manufacture is making $9+ per box of ammo over what you can buy components to manufacture your own premium loads. They are fully aware that brass is a reusable component and that if you reload they substantially more profits. This is a world that is all about Profits!

I moved to Florida a couple of years ago to enjoy the rest of my years being warm and fishing. I have found it difficult to find an economical place to shoot in my area of Florida. So, since moving to Florida I have not done any reloading or shooting. I have found one place 50 miles from me that you can buy reloading components, but very limited. Factory ammo is available everywhere. Shooting World in Tampa stopped selling reloading components due to they make more money selling ammunition and takes less floor space (Again, All about Profit).

I apologize for the extended rant, but found it to be relevant to the OP. My 2 Cents!

A good friend got me started in 1972. He showed me ropes ordered everything I needed to get started and I haven't looked back. Got into the gun business selling and building several years later. My business partner and I had a room set up for reloaders where we taught people to reload and shared our knowledge. Those interested enough to invest in basic equipment we sold them everything they needed. My son and baby brother who was 3 days younger than my daughter would load ammo through the week and we would close the shop at noon on Saturday and head to the Gun Club taking those young boys with us . We would shoot all evening. They learned a lot of life skills becoming reloaders and excellent marksman. My brother went to serve our country in Iraq and Afghanistan where he applied that knowledge. I'm very proud of both who are now sharing and passing on what they have learned. My thanks to this forum and all who participate for sharing what you know. At 68 years old I'm still learning.

Yes, in years past, I taught at our club and several individuals over time. Today, not so much. I am an old bullet swager, and that is a really dying skill and bullet casting is headed similar. To my amazement, I have been able to find wheel weights locally for free again. No one wanted them anymore

As things become more expensive and hard to find, all the old skills and knowledge from a century past are becoming valuable now.
That's the one thing I still want to learn is how to swage bullets. It's something I want to do before I get to old to do stuff

I am constantly on the lookout for those interested in learning. I find that unless you are immersed in something (organizations in general), it is difficult to find people outside family and friends, interested in process oriented pastimes. Why go through the trouble when I can buy a rifle and factory ammo and hit what I want?
It seems the younger generations are more distracted than ever. We have taught them to be a disposable people. We crave instant gratification and thus seem to be result driven ( I make a strong distinction between hunting animals and shooting them).
I see the same thing in fly fishing and other sports. Most want to take the path of least resistance due to time constraints and success is too often defined by harvest with little regard for stewardship.
Sorry if this seems like a rant. When I come across those interested, I will try to help them. If they take to it and are passionate about it, I glom onto them and pour into them as much as possible and usually learn a great deal from them and about myself in the process. I find that these relationships cover far more ground than the sport and turn into personal relationships that are mutually beneficial. Process people enjoy every aspect of what they do. They seem to be increasingly rare, but when found, are worthy of our time and efforts.
Boy did hit the nail on the head. No ranting I heard here.

That's the one thing I still want to learn is how to swage bullets. It's something I want to do before I get to old to do stuff
Decades ago, there was a variety of die, press and component mfg, but today, it is extremely limited and much more costly to start. However, a little imagination can create some interesting projectiles and some special purpose ones.

Decades ago, there was a variety of die, press and component mfg, but today, it is extremely limited and much more costly to start. However, a little imagination can create some interesting projectiles and some special purpose ones.
If I could learn how to make 5.56 bullets, 9mm, and 45acp bullets I would be happy 😊

I have tried to help new reloaders. After they see the time commitment and attention to detail added to the cost and really how little they shoot...me included now...
They decide not to reload. The start up cost is staggering at today's prices. So, I figure my oldest kid will get all my stuff and do whatever with it.
I cast lead bullets too.
The good ole days.
I have even stopped buying components as I may have enough to last me til that day.

I do all those and more. It's been an addiction

Check out Corbin's website

Several of my pistol caliber bullet dies are old CH4D, Herters, etc, and those companies are no longer producing
Can you point me in the right direction on there site for the correct dies I would need for the 3 bullets I talked about?